We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buckingham Palace in August

Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Buckingham Palace in August

I'll be in London in August and would like to see Buckingham Palace. Has anyone been that could tell me the difference between tours? One is the State Rooms and the other seems to be called Royal Day Out and another is the State Rooms with a garden tour.

Which is the best to choose? The Queens Gallery comes with the Royal Day Out which seems to be one of the differences.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

Well, the State Rooms is just that - a self guided tour of the State Rooms.

The State Rooms and Garden Tour is the State Rooms plus a tour of the Gardens.

The Royal Day Out is the State Rooms, plus the Queen's Gallery and the Royal Mews.

Which is the best? Depends on your interests and the amount of time you want to spend there.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 04:51
Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

Is the Queens Gallery actually within Buckingham Palace?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

Yes it is...more info for you....

royalcollection.org.uk/visit/the-queens-gall…

4. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 15:34
Edited: 19 March 2014, 15:34
5. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 15:34
Edited: 19 March 2014, 15:34
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

They must have changed that recently. A few years ago, my cousin and his wife bought the Royal Day Out tickets and they made them tour the Queen's Gallery and the Royal Mews first (because of the exit at the back of the gardens - which is, BTW, nearer to Hyde Park Corner for onward journey planning.) They weren't given a choice.

Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

After seeing Windsor, would you say Buckingham is enough different to be worth your time? And is the Queens Gallery any better than the collections in the National Gallery?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

I've done the Buckingham Palace tour a couple of times and I've enjoyed it each time. I think it's worth seeing, especially since you'll be there one of the few months of the year it is open. The Queen's Gallery has a lot of nice works of art and is also worth seeing - but it depends on how much you like art museums. You'd need to balance your interest in seeing it to what other things you'd have to pass up to see it. It a large collection, so will take at least a few hours to go through.

You can see the Royal Mews in under an hour.

Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

Does the Queens Gallery show gifts she has received, gowns or jewels?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buckingham Palace in August

It has been awhile since I've been, but I believe there are gifts and some jewels but mostly works of art. Check out their website for more details of their collections. I don't remember gowns there. Kensington Palace has gowns - Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Victoria and a fashion exhibit going on right now.