We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Tours from London

Vancouver
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip Tours from London

Hello,

I am coming to London for the first ever time starting in May. I was thinking of day tours from London possibly to such places such as Bath, Oxford, Stone Hendges, Windsor Castle, and maybe other places.

What are good companies for these tour that people could recommend that I check out for this?

Do you think it would be a better idea for me to book these tours before I leave for London or after I arrive. There was part of me that thought it would be better to do this after I arrive as I could actually talk to different companies in person and decide. And I am not sure if prices are the same or cheaper.

Part of me thinks that maybe I should book soon so that I have these tours for sure.

I look forward to your answers as to which companies to check out and if I should book in advance or on arrival.

Thanks,

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

You can book them after you arrive, and there are loads of tour operators.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,871 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

You can do all of these on your own, and go on your own schedule via train.

check this website for schedules and prices...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Many attractions (like the Roman Baths in Bath, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge) come with an audio tour guide.

If you went with an organized tour, you would likely see many places in one, long, eleven hour day, with at least half of that on the bus. This is a good option for the traveler with very little time. Not the best choice if you want to stay and see a place beyond a few hours.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

I'm a fan of York, it's 2hrs away by train from Kings Cross. You can get tickets from £13 each way, but those you need to purchase within 12 weeks of traveling to get the better rate.

It's a lovely, historic town and i go there as often as I can.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

You'll have more luck with a search for 'Stonehenge' than for 'Stone Hendges'.

It depends on whether you want to try and cram 2-3 locations into one day. If you don't, Oxford, Bath, Windsor are all very accessible via the train.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

Most of the organized tour companies (Golden, Premium, Evan Evans) will offer tours that visit a few locations in one day. These are great if you want a taste of the locations, but you will spend a fair bit of time on the coach. Usually, you'll get 1-2 hours in a location, possibly 3 in one of the locations if you're lucky.

I've done a number of the tours and I actually do enjoy them, for a 'taste' of places. In a number of cases, I've gone back and revisited a location (Bath, for instance) for a full day. Stonehenge is probably the only place that you'll get to see all you might want to see.

Whether it's worth the money will depend on what you want from a tour. Also, a hint about these tours, if they say you will 'see' a place, that's all you'll do, is see it. You most likely will not get off of the coach. And be wary if they say you'll spend more than 2-3 hours in any location (unless it's the only place you're visiting). One of the first tours I did claimed more than 3 hours would be spent in Bath and that was not how reality played out.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

Places like Stonehenge, The Cotswolds and Leeds Castle are not connected to any railway lines and are not as easy to do by public transport as, say, Oxford or Bath. Touring the Cotswolds from London will be better by hire car or tour bus. A number of tour companies do an Oxford and Cotswold combination. Others do Stonehenge and Bath. Try and concentrate on a two destination day trip rather than one that offers three locations as that can be a bit if a rush.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

I know many people do not like "tour" companies, however I use Premium Tours.

http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/index.php

I've never had a problem with them. Easy to book, good guides, and interesting commentary.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

By the way where is a good area where you can find a lot of these tour companies and can talk to representatives. I have a feeling there are a few central locations where there are many compnaies selling different tours.

Thanks in advance.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

Take a look at what's available at this link.

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/london_day_tours.…

Edited: 24 March 2014, 19:20
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,983 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Tours from London

As the London Toolkit article implies there are actually not that many tour operators offering these trips. For instance Viator advertise heavily across the world but they are no more than an agent for other companies. It doesn't help that most of those London hotels which offer a booking service only do so with one or two of the three big companies.

If you are staying at a large hotel then the concierge can advise you of what is available and book the tour for you. This can be done as late as the day before. Smaller companies that offer a more personal service International Friends is one) do exist but these tours are generally not run as frequently and should be booked in advance.

There are also qualified driver-guides who would tailor make a day for you...at a cost.