We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In london for 2 days

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In london for 2 days

Hi

I am travelling with my wife to london on May 1, 2014. Would be reaching Gatwick Airport at 7.20am and the Hotel is in Wembley (check in 2 or 3 pm).

Please suggest which option is better

Option 1 - Take gatwick express to Victoria - drop luggage in left luggage office - roam around central london (tower of london, westminster abbey etc) - pick up luggage at night and go to wembley at night

Option 2 - Take train to wembley - drop luggage at hotel reception - come back to central london - roam around and go back to hotel at night

I don't have much idea. Option 1 looks more efficient but expensive. Which one should I opt for. Or is there a third option

My second day is part of a group tour which takes me to london eye, madamme tussauds and lords cricket ground

Thanks for your help

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In london for 2 days

Option 1 looks more efficient but expensive. Which one should I opt for. Or is there a third option

===

Yes, take an ordinary train to Victoria (half the price and takes 5 minutes longer). Then store luggage. One slight issue is your arrival time, you will be traveling into London in peak time, trains will be rammed. You'll either have to put up with that or wait an hour or so for less busy trains.

Not sure its much use to you but for other readers, a large part of the issue is your choice of a hotel in Wembley, presumably because it was cheap, but you have traded that off for loss of time (by having to go all the way to Wembley and back) or probably cancelling out the momentary savings by having to store luggage. A budget hotel in the Victoria area would have been a better choice.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 10:44
new delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In london for 2 days

Thanks a lot. This is helpful

Actually the hotel option was not in my hands (since it was booked as part of the group tour of europe). But I agree with your advice.

Just need a clarification on the train option that you have mentioned. Is there a specific name for such train (first capital connect, southern etc).

Also, for onward journey within London, someone advised for an Oyster pass for Zone 1 - 4 which will cover Wembley and Central London route. Any idea if this is correct? Can i get this pass made at Gatwick airport and use it for train (gatwick to victoria) as well as tube (rest of the day)

Thanks once again.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In london for 2 days

GO here …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search put dates in, note the destination is london Victoria not Victoria, click on "details" when you get a result it will say what train company. If you just put "london" in you'll also get some cheaper tickets available to other places in London, there are some folks here very good at pointing out alternatives perhaps they will chip in I"ll remind them it needs luggage storage.

I'm also wondering if it would be preferable to get a ticket all the way to Wembley that includes a days travel card. ....

Train experts please chime in ........

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In london for 2 days

bump

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In london for 2 days

I'll bump this up again. I'm pretty sure I've read that there are train tix from Gatwick that include a travelcard, but I'm not sure they're good for the 2for1 and I don't know how much they cost.

new delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: In london for 2 days

Thanks. Please post the details of the Gatwick ticket (including travelcard) in case you come across any related info..

7. Re: In london for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:33