We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to travel

redlands
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
best way to travel

i need to go to a wedding in a few months and i need to go from heathrow to reading one day, then to portsmouth the next day ,then to farnham later that same day what would be the best way to go to all these places for 4 of us??? the ppl in this wedding have cars but of course they are to small and the rest of the ppl dont drive go figure!! i cannot drive over there either....id probly kill us all!! do they have trains or subs???

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to travel

Hi buford,

if you don't want to drive yourself, avoid public transport between all these places. Expensive, bad service, always late. You have only one option really, pre-arrange transport with private hire cab services.

Certainly for the Heathrow to Reading; I would hate that on the train/London Underground with bags after a long flight.

Gruetzi

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to travel

When you arrive at Heathrow, you should be able to get a National Express Coach from there to Reading. Reading isn't that far away - probably about an hour and a bit I think. After that, the trains are the best form of transport - beware though, allow yourself plenty of time since the services can be unreliable but most of the time it's OK. Some train routes are not always that straightforward meaning you may have to get off at one station and catch the connecting train from there to your destination. Trains are expensive but if you book in advance you should get them at a reasonable price. www.nationalrail.co.uk

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to travel

PS Do not arrange private hire cabs as they are very expensive and it is quite a journey from Reading to Portsmouth and Farnham. Secondly you don't need to go into London to catch a train from there to Reading.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to travel

Only way bit ethe bullet * do what the Swiss contributpor says

Happy day Gerlis

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to travel

Heathrow to Reading is not terribly far and a taxi would take you there. Look on the forum for firms that give quotes.

There are trains from Reading to Portsmouth, taking about 2 hours. Here's a link.

southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/pdfs/Timetabl…

The SWt website also shows trains from Portsmouth to Farnham, taking about two hours. It's forty miles so that seems a long time. You might feel able to splurge on a taxi for this if it's important to the wedding process - the person organising the wedding should be able to give you some details. Or ask them if there's a better way?

You don't say what you're doing after Farnham but it's an easy commuter ride back to London.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to travel

Hi buford and ALJ,

I must qualify my earlier comment. ALJ probably is right on your trip from Reading down to Portsmouth. The journey is quite long and a taxi would charge an arm and a leg for this. If cost is a factor, then take his advice and take the train.

For the Heathrow to Reading ride, I must insist on the hire car. It probably costs more than the bus, but take my advice anyway. After a long flight and arriving at the hell that is Heathrow with luggage, there is nothing nicer then having a car waiting for you to just take everything and deliver you right to your destination.

Portsmouth to Farnham (I assume Surrey), I would take the hire car option again. Ask some of your local friends in Portsmouth for advice and contacts. Last week-end a friend of mine in Ipswich organised a hire car for me through a friend. The 5 of us, Woodbridge to centre of London only cost us £25 ( much cheaper than the train) because the guy had to go in to London to pick someone up anyway.

Gruetzi

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to travel

Assuming no-one can pick you up at the airport, I think the coach is your best bet to Reading.

To get to Portsmouth, you could get a taxi to, say, Woking, which is on the fast train line to Portsmouth. And then get a train back to Farnham. Check the South West Trains site for details.

Subs would be no use as they only operate on sea, not on land. And obtaining berths can be tricky.....

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to travel

It's quite a difficult question with no really easy answer. Unfortunately the routes you need to go aren't direct on the train - ie to take the train from Reading to Portsmouth you would need to change at Guildford and taking the train from Portsmouth to Farnham you need to change at Woking, so you find yourself almost travelling back on yourself and the journey time takes a lot longer than it would by car. (1h45mins ish from p'mouth to Farnham whereas driving would take 45mins).

If your schedule is tight I would look to local taxis firms to quote you, devided between 4 people wouldn't be so bad.

If you need any other advice on Farnham (I assume you mean Farnham in Surrey ?) let me know since that's where I am!

London, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to travel

From Heathrow to Reading, get the Reading Rail-Air coach link, its a great service, about every 20 mins, from Heathrow (used to be from the terminals, but think it has now moved to the central bus station) and takes you to the train station in the middle of Reading. It has (v effective) air con, usually nice drivers is by far the easiest and most cost effective way from LHr to Reading, There are plenty of taxis at the station if you need to go somewhere in Reading.

Reading to Portsmouth - get the train, its one change, either at Southampton or Basingstoke depending on the time.

Not sure about the rest of the journey, but let me know if you need any more info about Reading

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to travel

Unless you are extremely rich or have stacks of luggage or can be persuaded to rent a car then:

Heathrow to Reading - Bus

Reading to Portsmouth - Train

Portsmouth to Farnham - Train although it's worth investigating the cost of a car service as it would take half the time of the train.