We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I will be traveling to London, England with my daughter who has lifethreatening breathing problems (she wants to see the Peter Pan Statue in London) but money is tight. I have no idea where is a safe are for us to stay in and where is an unsafe area to stay away from. She can not always walk far so I need easy, close access to public transportation. We are planning on buying the London Pass with Travel to help with entrance fees and travel costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Any tips we should be aware of?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help anyone can be to me!

Lynn

Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Whoops posted wrong answer to this thread, sorry.

In your case, would not bother with London pass, at all, bur ESPECIALLY not with transport...

Edited: 19 March 2014, 17:57
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

How old is your daughter? almost certainly London Pass especially with travel will be a huge waste of money. Look at the 2 for 1 travel card article in The Top Questions panel on the right here. That I'll give you travel and entry to attractions much more cheaply

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

We are planning on buying the London Pass with Travel to help with entrance fees and travel costs.

=========

It wont, terrible idea. Especially with someone that cant rush around. Read up on 241 see above right. Basic idea, half price entry for buying a cheaper travel ticket than the London pass travel ticket which no one here recommends.

Look at texScotts list of budget hotels (everyone is on a budget you really should state yours). Someone will no doubt post the link to it shortly.

Dont worry too much about being close to the Peter Pan statue, worst case you can take a bus or taxi to it the once.

No one here will suggest hotels in unsafe areas and you are unlikely to come across any as a normal tourist, I don't know why people ask this as if the regulars here would otherwise put you into some dump where people get stabbed every few minutes.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Pretty well all of central London is safe. A good budget area is Bloomsbury, though really, the good transport options mean you can look at most central areas without too much worry.

Bear in mind that most museums and art galleries in London are free, so if you are on a really tight budget you could take advantage of these and only visit a couple of pay to enter sights (maybe the Tower of London and one other. This works perfectly well for many visitors). The Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens is, of course, free. The London Pass is not generally considered good value for most travellers unless they like a lot of rushing about, and that's unlikely in your case. Their travel option is very poor value as it covers all zones, which you won't need. Far better to get a zone 1&2 travelcard when you arrive, or a pay as you go oyster card.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Link to TexScott's list!

https:/…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,472 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Check for budget hotels:

https:/…

and how to get half price admission to lots of things. Note a lot of things are free anyway so getting the LP with or without travel is a Very Bad Idea.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Bear in mind that using the tube often involves LOTS of walking (including stairs, lifts, escalators and distant platfotms along tunnels). Therefore you may wish to consider using the buses, which can "kneel" to make a lower step to get on. They are slower than the tube but you get to see lots of London rather than the dark tunnel walls.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,987 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

The Travelcards that people are mentioning are also valid on London buses.

Tex's list should prove useful but if you need more specific help then we really need a budget figure... in pounds please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

If your daughter has breathing problems I would strongly advise against the tube. We Londoners rush around and may force you to move at a pace that you aren't comfortable at. It can also get incredibly crowded on there and your daughter may not be able to sit down and have a breather. You can take a bus everywhere and in some cases they are actually faster than going down into the tube.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,991 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I agree. We usually take the bus, you can see things along the way and they are very frequent. I've been yelled at on the Undergorund for not moving fast enough for the regulars - but only once!