We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I will be traveling to London, England with my daughter who has lifethreatening breathing problems (she wants to see the Peter Pan Statue in London) but money is tight. I have no idea where is a safe are for us to stay in and where is an unsafe area to stay away from. She can not always walk far so I need easy, close access to public transportation. We are planning on buying the London Pass with Travel to help with entrance fees and travel costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Any tips we should be aware of?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help anyone can be to me!

Lynn

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Wow - I'm really sorry - I sure did not mean to offend anyone by asking what areas we should stay away from. I have just never traveled abroad and want to keep us safe.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 19:58
Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Thanks!

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I am considering the ibis Styles London Croydon which is located at 585 589 London Road, Thornton Heath, Thornton Heath, Croydon. I am wondering if anyone knows of this hotel. The info says "There are good bus services outside the hotel" but I don't know how far of a walk that might be.

Does anyone have any info on this hotel that they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Edited: 19 March 2014, 21:57
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

It's too far out in the sticks. Please post your nightly budget.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

No, don't stay in Croydon. Its not particularly nice and its not in London.

When we say London is a safe city, its actually very safe within what we call the Circle Line on the Underground www.tfl.gov.uk

We don't have guns either

Could we find a better situated hotel for you? What is your budget per night in British Pounds?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I assume you chose a hotel in Croydon because it seemed cheaper, but it's a long way to travel into and from Central London, and you would have to pay extra in transport costs. If you are looking for budget hotels consider the Travelodges in central London. If in doubt as to their exact location ask us. You can also get good value hotels looking on booking.com. Their rating system is fairly accurate, which helps you avoid the dumps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

If you stay in Croydon (not London btw) you will have a 30 minute train journey just to get to the centre (not necessarily the bit of the centre you want to be in either - you'd have to get buses to continue your journey). During rush hour this can be a very busy train and you may well have to stand

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Rates at the Ibis Styles (PLEASE do not stay there) for a random midweek date in June seem to be in the £50-£60 per night range. I really think you need to double that to find somewhere decent and central although these two are worth investigating and should come in under £100.

http://www.wardoniahotel.co.uk/

www.stmargaretshotel.co.uk/W_e_l_c_o_m_e.html

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

With your daughter unable to walk long distances the Ibis Styles is a terrible location in Croydon, let alone Croydon not being a great location anyway.

As with the others, what is your budget in pounds (£) and what are your days of arrival and departure and we can look to help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

The downside of the Wardonia is that the rooms are small - *very* small. It would be acceptable for a one or two night stay but I would want to be there longer than that.

I cannot think of any good reason to stay at the Ibis in Croydon.

Depending on your travel dates and your budget - use www.oanda.com to calculate the exchange rate - consider the Ibis Budget in Whitechapel Road or one of the new build Travelodge properties. I expect there will be some tutting about the Ibis in Whitechapel Road, but it is an immaculately-maintained newish hotel, with free WiFi and lots of Freeview on the television (always nice to have a distractor) and is extremely handy for buses to and from the city centre. There is a microwave oven available in Reception should you wish to buy snacks to heat up and eat in the dining area, which again can be budget-friendly.