We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I will be traveling to London, England with my daughter who has lifethreatening breathing problems (she wants to see the Peter Pan Statue in London) but money is tight. I have no idea where is a safe are for us to stay in and where is an unsafe area to stay away from. She can not always walk far so I need easy, close access to public transportation. We are planning on buying the London Pass with Travel to help with entrance fees and travel costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Any tips we should be aware of?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help anyone can be to me!

Lynn

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

It is unlikely you would get a Priceline bid for that amount unless you look in Docklands. I've had the Novotel Excel twice for a bid of around £45 (around £58 after taxes and fees) and thought it an exceptionally good hotel. The Excel area would also be good for your daughter as it is a very clean, green, open area, quite attractive in modernist sort of way. The problem is that you would have to travel into central London. I found it pretty straightforward taking the Jubilee Line and Dockland Light Railway (DLR), though I'm familiar with London. By the way, I've also stayed twice at the Holiday Inn Express Limehouse and didn't notice that the air was particularly polluted. It's a really easy bus journey on the very frequent 15 into the City and West End.

Having said all that though, if you can really get the Travelodge Bethnal Green for around £50 then go for it and don't hesitate. Those sort of rates don't last. You can be sure hundreds of people have looked at it since you last came on here!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

One spanner in the works is that the OP lands at LHR at 22:45 which means that by the time they are through Immigration etc, the chances of getting anywhere east of London easily is going to be remote.

I think looking for something in Earls Court, Kensington or Victoria might be more sensible

Also, raising your budget. £50 per night is not viable

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

dicanio10, is Kensington and Chelsea the same as the Kensington that you said?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Kensington and Chelsea are areas which run into each other. I think administratively they may be one area now, but there are parts of each locals will call one or the other. You really need to provide an address to know how well somewhere there is located.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Kensington can be rather spread out.

West Kensington - which I just remember being a bit of a pain to access and having to wait for a connecting tube at Earl's Court too many times when I visited friends living there.

Kensington (Olympia) tube has been withdrawn during the week. "The Kensington (Olympia) District line service will still run at weekends, on public holidays and during some events."

South Kensington - where a number of the major museums are located.

As Joe says, you need to give us an address / street name so we can help identify it.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

If you can really get the TL Bethnal Green for £50 per night, it might make financial sense to stay there and get a pre-booked car service (probably around £40-£45) to the hotel, which would be more comfortable for your daughter. In general, hotels in Kensington and Chelsea are pricier, with few good budget options.

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

How about Mowbray Court Hotel located at 28/32 Penywern Road, Kensington and Chelsea, London?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

More Earl's Court - between Earl's Court Road and Warwick Road. Just around the corner from the Earl's Court tube.

Booking.com gives it a 6.9 and reviews note small rooms and sometimes that its noisy. http://tinyurl.com/nr7j3nm

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d1890…

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Please look at the traveler photos included on the TA reviews page. That place looks small, dirty and depressing. I wouldn't want to stay there if they paid me.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,603 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Eurgh. If that is the only sort of place that would fit my budget, I would seriously reconsider my plans!