We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I will be traveling to London, England with my daughter who has lifethreatening breathing problems (she wants to see the Peter Pan Statue in London) but money is tight. I have no idea where is a safe are for us to stay in and where is an unsafe area to stay away from. She can not always walk far so I need easy, close access to public transportation. We are planning on buying the London Pass with Travel to help with entrance fees and travel costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Any tips we should be aware of?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help anyone can be to me!

Lynn

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I have booked us into the Bethnal Green Travelodge for all 7 nights. Now I am working on getting there around midnight with each of us toting a suitcase and a carry-on. On another forum here it was suggested to me "Please do consider taking the Underground from Heathrow to King's Cross and a black cab from there. It is a step free journey from the airport to KX, which will still be fairly busy when you arrive there. On arrival take the lift up from the ticket hall to street level and turn left as if you were going to the rail station departures concourse

The taxi rank is in Pancras Road, you won't miss it nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_KGX/plan.html

An alternative to that is to take the Underground to Holborn. At that station you will find 22 steps down, a walk of about 70m in total and two long escalators up from the Piccadilly line platform to the ticket hall and street level. If you use the exit from the station on the right to High Holborn you shouldn't have to wait more than a minute or two for a taxi (nor should you have to wait at King's Cross either), with the trip from Holborn station a straight shot through the City to the TL.

Of the two choices taking the Tube to KX is more straightforward. It *is* a long trek from one side of London to the other, but about half the Tube journey is at or above ground so the lights of west London will be visible as you pass by, it won't be tunnels all the way"

Since you all are suggesting taking the bus would be better, do you suggest an alternative route using a bus? Also, I know it was said here that all of London is safe, I know in the US that taking a subway (our tubes) after midnight is not many people and not very safe. Will there still be lots of people and safety taking this route after midnight with our luggage to our hotel?

Again - thank you SO MUCH for all of everyone's help. We are really getting excited about seeing your city and all it holds!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I wouldn't advise travelling first time in a strange city,cumbersome luggage, dark, not knowing where you are going, might be raining. Just pay the little extra for a car transfer service.

The alternative would be tube (if you get in in time to get the last one), and then a taxi, but the total cost wont be much different for two people and you have a daughter who cant walk far (so I understand) so you will no doubt take the brunt of the luggage.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Book a car service. I've taken the flight that arrives at 2245, and while it does land in enough time that you should make the last tubes, I wouldn't risk not making it or taking a long tube journey that time of night based on your daughter's health and with luggage.

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

I am grateful for all of your help and comments. May I please ask you another question (I am beginning to feel very demanding of you. I am sorry!) but how do I book a car service?

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Also - where would the closest place to my hotel be to buy the paper travel cards so we can get the 2-4-1 deals?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Here are some of the services used by others. I've only used Simply Airports. On each website it asks you the same questions, To or From Airport, Which Airport, Post Code you are going to, How many people/bags, Preferred car size. For your hotel, I believe the postcode is E2

www.london-transfers.com

www.skyexpresscars.net

www.handicars.co.uk

www.justairports.com

www.simplyairports.co.uk/

www.exclusiveairports.com

www.swisscottagecars.com

www.expressways.co.uk

The nearest National Rail Station to you is Bethnal Green, or you could take the 8 bus to Liverpool Street Station.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/posters/BET.pdf

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Bethnal Green is a station-ette; I think there is a ticket machine at the base of the stairs to the platform but I can't remember with certainty. Splurge £2.40 on a bus ticket (the 8 or 388) to Liverpool Street and buy paper Travelcards at the rail ticket office on the main concourse across from platforms 8, 9 and 10. There are escalators from Bishopsgate to and from the concourse.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

...But don't confuse Bethnal Green Rail Station with Bethnal Green Tube (Underground) Station!

I hope you have a good time and do write a report of your trip or at least get back to let us know how you got on at the Bethnal Green Travelodge.

Just a bit of trivia, the steps down to Bethnal Green Tube Station were the scene of a terrible tragedy in World War II when 173 people lost their lives.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21645163

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Iggyfitz, thank you for sharing that bit of trivia that we might not have known. How horrifying that must have been. The article makes it seem so real.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
70. Re: cheap hotel in a safe area of London with close transportati

Another vote for.

www.expressways.co.uk/