We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in London

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 Days in London

I'm planning going to London the beginning of June. The plan is just to see all the major tourist attractions. We also plan on doing day trips out to Manchester, Cardiff and maybe Paris.

Any suggestions on hotels? I am currently thinking about Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments in Paddington area or Dolphin House in the Victoria-Westminster area. Which is more centrally located?

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in London

Some of this info might be helpful, also you need to provide a nightly budget in pounds for recommendations.

A lot of people don't like the Paddington area, it's not as scenic as other central areas. The Victoria/Westminster area is better situated for tourist attractions.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c205862/Londo…

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:51
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in London

Thanks.

I'm looking to spend no more than 150.00 GBP.

I'm not worried about how scenic it will be. Ideally, I would prefer a centrally located hotel that makes it easy for me to get around.

Eureka, Missouri
Level Contributor
301 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in London

I've been checking TA sites on several cities we are visiting on a tour this summer and I can't really envision why you would want to deliberately go to Manchester. That being said, my husband and I have been to Bath and I feel that would be a more appealing destination. Maybe you could also take a train from there to Cardiff if you want to. As for Paris, we thought about a day trip there but considering the cost and amount of travel time we didn't feel it would allow much time to really see the sites. Aside from one or possibly two day trips max I'd recommend concentrating on London there are loads of things to see and do.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in London

I stayed at the Dolphin House several years ago when it was still the Dolphin Square Hotel. The location was great. It is only a 2-3 minute walk from the Pimlico tube station - which is just one quick stop from Victoria and 2 quick stops from Green Park. You can transfer to just about anywhere from those two stations. It is also a nice residential area. Not a lot in the way of restaurants, pubs or shops, but a nice place to be based.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,679 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days in London

Amy, there will be plenty to keep you occupied in London and its surrounds for 10 days without going to Cardiff, Manchester or Paris. Nearer day trips to get ou tof the city would be Windsor, Oxford, St Albans, Cambridge, Canterbury, Salisbury and literally dozens of other places!

So, unless you have a very specific reason for going to Cardiff and Manchester, don't bother! As for Paris, I would bever advise a day trip there, as like London there is far too much to experience and you wouldn;t even be close to scratching the surface of this wonderful city!

As for location, I would opt for Victoria/Westminster over Paddington.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days in London

We are going to Manchester to tour the Manchester United Stadium. The fiancee is a huge Man U fan.

Also looking at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, TA has some pretty decent reviews on it.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days in London

If you do decide to take the day trips then I might consider staying a little more centrally or possibly somewhere along the Circle Line between Paddington and St Pancras as all three trips will start from a station along that part of the line.

You have mentioned a couple of apartments but also asked about hotels. For that budget you are probably looking at a decent budget hotel rather than an aparthotel or managed apartments but could you confirm that before we start making suggestions. Thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,679 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Days in London

>>>We are going to Manchester to tour the Manchester United Stadium. The fiancee is a huge Man U fan.<<<

Then that is a good and valid reason to take a day trip there! Any reason for Cardiff?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Days in London

Ideally, a serviced apartment would be better. We are going to Cardiff to see the Dr. Who museum.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Days in London

Manchester is worth a day trip to visit the National Football Museum - plenty of Liverpool FC stuff there to keep you happy! ;-)