We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?: 4 Days in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What would you do?: 4 Days in London

If you were in London for 4 days and were not coming back for a long while, what are the must-see/must-do things in the city?

Couple things about me:

Budget: ~$50 a day

Interests: Artsy, Foodie, Love exploring

Traveling Alone

THANKS! :)

Robby

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,382 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

Budget: ~$50 a day

=======================

Is your budget for attractions alone? Or does it spread to food as well? What about Transport?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

National Gallery

National Portrait Gallery

Tate

Tate Modern

All free

Spend the 50 at a pub

S

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

Make sure you check out Borough Market - a nice variety of food vendors.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,037 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

Tower of London

ETA: and get a guidebook.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 04:38
California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

That is a budget of £30 a day which isn't a lot. Does that include food, attractions and public transport?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

$50 is very conservative I know and I'm willing to splurge haha but want to keep it low on the average day. It would include most things other than housing.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

IF i were you i would be looking to increase my budget a little.

since some/most of the museum are free in London as compared to Paris, i would take advantage of it, if you care to.

look at buying hand food like pasties/donar kababs and such. you dont have alot of $$$ to get by on. If your residence is offering free breakfast, take advantage of that and pig out so you can skip a meal or 2.

also, if you can, bring some food from home to eat on your time in the airports and on your first day.

bring a water bottle so you can refill it and not buy bottled water. Or if you do, reuse the water bottle several time and then toss.

take the bus as much as you can since its less expensive. The tube is fast and fun, but more $$$$.

do some planning of what you want to do/see so you minimize your walking/riding time.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

You need to think in £s - $s are useless in the UK, but whatever your quoted $50 translates into it is very low

<<Love exploring >> - good. Read some guide books, find what interests you personally, not following a list compiled by strangers.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

Truly, the guidebook advice is good, I got the same advice before my first trip - there are so many things to choose from, just reading up about them is exciting!

For me, I'd say:

Visit The City (financial district) at the weekend, and take a gazillion snaps of the amazing modern architecture. (It's too busy on a weekday to clutter up the pavement taking photos).

Visit the Westminster Bridge area and take a gazillion snaps of the amazing Victorian architecture.

Visit the www.tfl.gov.uk site and identify some bus routes that go past things you like the sound of. The buses are cheap and frequent, and you see some incredible sights as you travel. The Tube is fine but obviously all you see is tube.

Have a river cruise. Last time I did that I got the tube to Greenwich and got the boat back up; the boat was virtually empty for.the first leg, so I had a great seat for lots of photo ops; after the first stop it was like a floating cattle truck, hard to get photos without tourist heads in them.

Visit St. Paul's - I find it far more welcoming than the Abney. If you go for Evensong, say, there is no admission charge, and, though you can't ramble around and explore, you do get to see a magnificent space being used for its intended purpose.

Dang! I want to be in London NOW!!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 07:48
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,695 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you do?: 4 Days in London

I would get a guidebook and decide on 2-3 things per day. You could spend the vast majority of that time not spending any money on sites from visiting parks and streetmarkets to galleries and museums. I would however visit the Tower and if the weather's fine, take a boat down to Greenwich.

I would also spend a small amount on a guided walk especially one in the City (Square Mile) which go everyday from the St Paul's visitor centre and go to the theatre at least once.