We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

A friend and I are going to Wimbledon this summer. Not just to visit the area but the actual tennis tournament. What is a good area to stay in that isn't too far from there but also fairly easy for me to access seeing other sights in/around London? I don't mind either staying at a hotel or renting out a room or condo if prices are reasonable.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

You could look around the Earl's Court area. It's on the District Line - as is the All England Club, but would also give you access to Central London.

For more specific hotel suggestions, please give your maximum, daily accommodation budget in GBP/£.

Otherwise, play around with the filter system on www.booking.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

I was thinking max $150/night but I'd prefer cheaper if possible. Some people I met on my last trip rented places from Vacation Rental By Owner. I was thinking of trying that this time because I'm going with a friend.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

TigerLily, it's really of no benefit to you to consider rates for London (not 519) hotels in any currency except sterling. The exchange rate is fluid; use www.oanda.com or www.xe.com to calculate today's rate (and hope things improve in the next couple of months - another task for the new Minister of Finance).

At present, your budget will likely mean a stay in Earl's Court won't be in the picture. Let us know the dates you will be in London and whether you will fly to Heathrow or Gatwick airport.

Wimbledon is well connected on the Underground, so there isn't a pressing need to stay in SW5 or SW7. Let us know your dates and we can go from there.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

Another option is to stay in the Waterloo area as this is connected to Wimbledon by overground train (as is Clapham on the same line).

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

Accommodation around Wimbledon is inflated during the tournament. It is better stay away from the area unless you have some sort of deal. It will take a time to get there whichever public transport you are taking so looking for hotels meeting your budget would be more reasonable.

london
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

agreed dont stay anywhere near wimbledon as inflated better to stay anywhere on dirstrict line so putney , west kensington earls court south kensingrton as tube southfields ( nearest to the all england ) would be 20 minutes , best not to go by train to wimbledon station as it is a bit of a trek from there to the all england

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

Thanks!

I'm going to be there June 27 - July 1 but my friend is going to be there a few days earlier than me and is staying a few days later. I just have a limited amount of time during work.

I'll look into the areas you all mentioned. I don't mine commuting a bit to the area but will stay away from taking the train. Thanks!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

I always go to Wimbledon by train )from Southampton but it's the same station if you arrive from central London. Wimbledon train station and Wimbledon tube station are in the same place, but if you travel by tube , get off two stops earlier at Southfields. This is near the back of the queue). It is an up hill walk to the tennis from there, but there is also a bus and shared taxis from the station (and 1000s and 1000s of people using them).

Traveling by tube to Southfields is also possible but the tube is extremely crowded and very likely boiling hot (though Wimbledon week is a sign of rain usually). There are also special buses put on from around Marble Arch I think, but I have never been on them. Anyway it is totally ridiculous to say "avoid the train". Just use whatever transport is most convenient from your accommodation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

It depends on what time you want to get there. Morning and evening before the gates open are usually busy periods for Tube.

Yes, Southfields is closer than named sake station although it still requires bit of walk.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Wimbledon - where to stay?

It is a bit of a 'trek' from Wimbledon train station to the All England Club, that's why they have buses!!! Don't limit yourself to accommodation along the District Line!