We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

I am travelling in May 2014 to London, by myself. Can anyone recommend a good, recent, reliable car service for me to book in advance?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

no no no

the HEX + taxi is the most expensive option

use the tube if young and fit

or a car service if old and creaky (like me )

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

Taking the HEX and then a taxi seems a bit pointless when for much the same amount, or less, you can arrange a private car direct from the temrinal to the hotel.

The tube will almost always be the cheapest option.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

A cautionary tale.

I was taking the HEX from Heathrow last Friday lunchtime (a big thanks to my company!) and was waiting on the platform when a chap with a foreign accent asked me if the train coming in was the one he should take. It was a Connect service and he would have happily boarded the train if I hadn't stopped him.

I looked at his ticket and saw that he had purchased a Business First ticket from the staff inside the terminal at a cost of £29. He was clearly conned by the staff as he told me he had no interest in travelling first class and in fact he boarded the train in standard class pretty much oblivious to the fact he "given" £8 to the company. Are these staff on commission I wonder?

The train was packed and a family of four in front of me at Paddington were looking for the taxi rank and heading for Bloomsbury. Neither my German or their English was good enough to allow me to make them realise that they will be paying around £100 in total for a journey that would cost about £23 on the tube and about £50 for a car service.

I hate the phrase rip off Britain but it does seem to apply in this instance.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

Ah, thank you - it is good to be well-advised. Appreciate the info!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

If you're willing to follow the directions I gave in post seven you will have a nearly painless journey. The most tedious part, I've found, is the walk from T3 Arrivals to the Underground station. There are three travelators to help speed things along (luggage trolleys are plentiful and free of charge at Heathrow) but it feels like a long slog from T3 to the station.

Once on the train, and especially on the District line train, you will very nearly be 'home'. A taxi from Sloane Square station to your flat won't cost much, and you can use the pounds you will have saved to buy a treat the Waitrose in the King's Road rather than spend it on transport.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

I just thought of another question on this. I do not regularly ride a tube/subway train. Once I get on the train, how will I know which stop is the Sloane Square or South Kensington stop. Is it announced on the train? or is there obvious signage to let me know at what stop to depart? Thanks so much for your knowledge and help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/London… You will see signs similar to this on every platform. You will see this …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.jpg at Hammersmith where you will change across the platform where the walk is as shown here https:/…Hammersmith_station.jpg - that's the westbound platforms but the arrangement is the same for the easbound trains. Step out of one and board another.

https:/…Sloane_Square_Roundel_2007.jpg This too will be difficult to miss. Here is the view from Sloane Square itself looking to the station entrance: https:/…Sloane_Square_stn_entrance.JPG

Please do not alight at South Kensington. It is a hike from the Piccadilly line platform to street level, with a long walk on the flat plus stairs and an escalator up. Making the change at Hammersmith and alighting at Sloane Square is considerably easier than leaving the train at South Ken.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,556 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

Even I can decipher the signage.

Come and enjoy.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

okay - the links helped to get an idea of what this will look like -- very helpfu, Thanks!l

30. Re: London Heathrow - Private car service to hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 10:02