We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about our visit to London.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bradford West...
Level Contributor
542 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about our visit to London.

So we will be arriving from Toronto on the morning of July 9th. Our plan is to spend 4 nights in the Wakefield area visiting family and doing some touristy things which we have to find things to do still.

Then our plan is to take the train into London the morning of July 14 and drop our bags at a B&B and tour London.

A few questions.

I know there are hundreds of B&B in London but we would be looking for one near where the city tours would be. Without the nightly fee costing us a fortune.

Which tour is the best one to do. We want to see all the sights, the Palace, Big Ben, London eye etc..

We will then be taking the Eurostar from London to Paris on midday of July 15th.

Where do we get the Eurostar.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

"Where do we get the Eurostar."

St Pancras International station.

http://www.stpancras.com/

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

The train you get from Wakefield to London will arrive at Kings Cross and the Eurostar leaves from St Pancras which is immediately adjacent , so staying in that area would be a first thought.

What kind of hotel are you looking for? And what is your definition of 'not a fortune' (budget per night in £s)?

City tours go from all over. Not a big fan myself, but they are very popular.

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
542 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

Thanks for the info.

I see in TA that there are about 599 B&B/ inns in the London area. I have only looked at 3 of them so far and all three have seemed to be about 25 minutes from Big Ben for example.

Is that too far from all the action.

I know London is expensive. Is £100 per night reasonable for a B&B type accommodation.

What would be an alternate for a city tour?

We don't need a fancy hotel. Just somewhere to lay our heads for a few nights and keep our luggage while we sightsee.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 13:00
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

"all three have seemed to be about 25 minutes from Big Ben for example.

Is that too far from all the action. "

25 minutes in which direction by which means?

There is an article at the top of the page (which I shall also link for you) on budget hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c162572/Londo…

Edited: 22 March 2014, 13:06
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

If you book your train on the East Coast website from Wakefield to London Kings Cross[I use this line]

you'll get the best prices . Fares are usually released 3 months prior to date of travel

The B&B's in Argyll St. across from Kings Cross could be well matched to the price you quote .

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

Not what you asked, I know, but in Wakefield The Hepworth is definitely worth a visit....

7. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 16:05
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

Not sure what the link is in post seven, but my anti-virus software doesn't like it, a google search doesn't suggest it has anything to do with London walking tours and the poster appears to be repeatedly hawking it, so probably best to avoid clicking and reported as spam.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

I think, before we can help you, you should read this overview of offerings in London to see what type of lodgings best meets your group's needs.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c205862/Londo…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about our visit to London.

Which tour is the best one to do. We want to see all the sights, the Palace, Big Ben, London eye etc..

==============================

I think your best bet, as you seem to be a group, is to look into this...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

You are coming into London on July 14, and I would see the Tower of London on that day, as it will be pulled from the 2-4-1 scheme for a month on the following day.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/tower-of-london

Using the 2-4-1 will save you £22 when visiting the Tower of London, if you are going as a pair.