We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

I travel quite extensively and I always try to be courteous to the local customs. That being said I am in preliminary preparation for an upcoming summer trip to London. I was thinking of wearing shorts on sight seeing days. Is this appropriate in London or should I plan on wearing long pants to be respectful. I would appreciate any insight on this matter, especially from London locals. Thanks

Anthony W

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

Oh yes, please do keep a top on, I hate to see men walking down a street, or even worse in shops or bars without wearing a top.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,510 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

Now, if you DO choose shorts (golf shorts should be fine in most places), do not wear black over-the-calf black socks and sandals with the shorts. Also, do not wear sock garters, with those shorts. The "fationistas" would likely snatch you off of Piccadilly.

Now, I have to admit that I have not pushed the "shorts envelope," but that is because we are almost always in London in April, and October. There WAS one April trip, that got moved to June, and it was one of the hottest Junes in London's recent history. The weather reports in the US all predicted a cool June, so we packed for that, only to be surprised. I only wish that I had brought several pairs of golf shorts on that trip. On all the rest, it has always been much too cool to don them.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

Whoever's claiming shorts might best avoided in London's churches clearly knows nothing about why they're there.

Mainstream Christian churches aren't there as tourist attractions, or as places where bigots congregate to congratulate each other on their specialness: they were built to glorify God and to help attract everyone to her. The idea that certain kinds of clothing might be "inappropriate" in them is absurd, and fundamentally unChristian.

It's just understandable in Rome, where the entire native population has little more on its mind than judging each others' dress sense (though even there the nit-picking dress rules imposed on tourists in churches are spectacularly ignored by worshippers at Masses in St Peter's Square). But in London - where the whole idea of "dress codes" is preposterous, except at a handful of pretentious and mediocre eating places - it's unthinkable.

Wear what you like. No-one else will care or notice.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,019 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

I am offended by men's naked torsos and armpits on the Tube. Call me intolerant if you will.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

Would you be wearing these shorts over your 'long pants' ?

Or is that the American English version for trousers, rather than underwear in English.

Of course, with UK weather, 'long johns' (underwear) might be more appropriate

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

If you a google search for Hyde Park summer images; some of the images that come up show what people wear in London in warm weather.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

You know Spring is here, when a pair of pasty white English limbs make their first appearance of the year.

I was almost tempted to dust off the combat shorts myself last weekend. Yes, most chaps need little encouragement to wear shorts, you won't look out of place. Budgie smugglers and speedos however are not acceptable in an urban environment, as are bared armpits. Ugh. And definitely no socks with sandals.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

I don't think that anyone needs to worry about courtesy or respect when choosing their London dress code. Those who worry about the length/fit of shorts have presumably never spent an evening on Old Compton Street. I think that for most British men shorts are something that we remember wearing at school or in the Cub Scouts, and we probably have a pair at the back of a draw left over from a holiday in Greece. So people will probably guess that you are on holiday, and possibly even that you are not a native, but I don't think that anyone would consider it the least bit discourteous or disrespectful. You have to remember that London is a city where it is quite normal to see a woman stripped down to a bra and knickers in Hyde Park and then cross the road and see another woman shopping on Oxford Street in an abaya and niqab.

I think that flanner is right about going into churches. There are other parts of the world where there are very strict dress codes for entering churches, typically requiring shoulders and knees to be covered, though I was also once temporarily thrown out of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem while I put on a jumper (in July) to cover my forearms. A man should uncover his head in a church, unless he is a Jew, or some kind of Christian clergyman or religious who customarily wears a particular headdress, but apart from that I think that we are quite relaxed about what people wear in churches in the UK. I once saw a woman with the word 'FOXY' printed across her buttocks when hearing Mass at the Oxford Oratory for the Feast of the Sacred Heart.

London, England...
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

This must be a joke?! You can wear whatever you like. Girls walk around in hotpants with their bum cheeks hanging out. Trust me, shorts are fine

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Should I consider packing shorts for my London trip

>>. I think that for most British men shorts are something that we remember wearing at school or in the Cub Scouts, and we probably have a pair at the back of a draw left over from a holiday in Greece.<<

Maybe about 20 or 30 years ago that was true. I remember when I was a kid in the '80s you'd never see a grown man walking down the street in shorts. But these days it doesn't take much - the first bit of warmth in the spring- and you start seeing quite a few in shorts, and come summer tons of people.