We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60+ Oyster Card

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
60+ Oyster Card

People who are 60+ and living in London qualify for a 60+ Oyster Card, which for a pittance, gives them free transportation. The website says one must show a passport or UK driver's license. Does anyone know if a U.S. citizen living and working in London on a work visa and with a U.S. passport is eligible for the 60+ Oyster Card?

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

9 zones - OK, but it does depend on location. i.e One can't go beyond Hampton Court in the South West, but that is only Zone 6 and there are no higher value (than 6) Zones in that direction or generally South of London

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

So far as I know, the 60plus Oyster was introduced only to permit fulfilment of a manifesto pledge not to introduce public transport charges in London for the over 60s (whereas the ENCTS and Freedom passes are limited to those of pensionable age - 62-63 now and rising).

I don't think either was designed for visitors, and some American friends were refused on the basis the address they gave in London was not their sole or main residence.

Others may have different experience!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

Yes, the 60+ Oyster and the Freedom Pass are ONLY for permanent residents of a London Borough, not for visitors.

The 60+ Oyster was introduced solely for the benefit of London residents over 60 who have not yet reached pensionable age, and indeed London residents who have reached that age apply for a Freedom Pass instead.

Don't forget that holders of an English National Concessionary Pass travel free on London's buses at any time.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

"Yes, the 60+ Oyster and the Freedom Pass are ONLY for permanent residents of a London Borough"

The concept is meaningless in modern London. London's not Beijing, where unaccountable governments allow Chinese to live only if they get a special permit, unavailable to most Chinese.

London is all about transience, and who's to say whether someone living (and writing a book) in London on a year's sabbatical is more or less "permanent" than a Briton working in Hong Kong, but keeping a flat here so he's still on the property ladder in five years' time or a Russian kleptocrat with a London bolt hole in case Russia ever gets a government honest enough to jail his kind?

It's practically impossible to define "resident" in a way that everyone will agree.

Frankly, if I had the misfortune to be a citizen of a country that's forever batting on about the importance of self-reliance, I'd be disgusted at myself for accepting a handout funded by young working taxpayers who can't afford to live in London.

But if the poster's got the brass neck to exploit this loophole, no doubt she'll have no problems looking at herself in the mirror.

You do start seeing why people get het up about immigrants coming here to scrounge off our taxes, though, don't you?

As a matter of curiosity, would I get free transport in Virginia?

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

Well the link is probably Council Tax/resident - that is where the money comes from. So if a person is paying council tax in a residence they own and live in, even if they are from abroad, that might be sufficient qualification

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

I apologise for some of the rants on this post but people have stopped thinking rationally about immigration in this country, and confuse it with tourism. Having visited the US many times Americans have gone out of their way to get me the same senior benefits that your countrymen and women have paid for through their tax dollars, and this might not be more widely understood here. I fear that you are not eligible but enjoy your trip

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

Thanks for the map. Now, I look forward to the NHS. Everyone has been so helpful!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

How does it work if you go to a station covered by Oyster cards but outside the zones ?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

Thank you Brent J for your kind words.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 60+ Oyster Card

Thank you to all who gave such valuable input concerning the Freedom/Oyster Card and our living and working in London. I have the answers I need now and appreciate the help.