We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

What governmental agency in London is responsible for taking complaints about suspected "health code" violations in restaurants?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

food.gov.uk/enforcement/….Uy97-ScgGSM

Search tool to find appropriate local authority

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

Environmental Health Inspectors are reponsible for food safety and hygiene issues in the UK. They are run by local authorities - the council and borough offices that run all the services like street cleaning, lighting and rubbish collection. If the restaurant is in say Victoria you would have to contact the Environmental Health Office of the City of Westminster. Look at the Food Standards Agency website. You will find a link to local authorities. Put the address of the establishment in and they will tell you what borough and contact details. Despite government cuts, inspections are done regularly and members of the public who complain are taken seriously. It sounds like you may have had a nasty experience - hope it works out and sorry to hear it.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

I think we know the restaurant you are referring to now that your review of it has been posted!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d7…

From your review it seems you had a downer on the restaurant before you partially saw the kitchen. Would you really have thought of reporting it for health violations if it had not been for your dissatisfaction with the food and portion sizes? I ask this because in your review you do not really say what the health issue in the kitchen was, and it seems to be one of several issues.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 13:14
London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

You'll need to contact Hammersmith & Fulham environmental health if it's the restaurant above:

lbhf.gov.uk/directory/…

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

…food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/344965/Rangrez-C…

1 out of 5: "major improvement necessary"

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

Under seasoned food, not to your taste and small portions are not Heath violations. At no point in your review did you say you actually saw any such violations and you mention 'suspected' ones only in your post here.

We all have disappointing restaurant meals, but that is no reason to be malicious, or petty, which is how your reaction is coming across.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,249 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

Agree with #6.

I had a disappointing meal on Friday night at a past favourite, which included food that wasn't hot enough to the point of being unsafe. That had me searching for the contact details of the relevant environmental health (I'll hold fire on that for now). However, I also made a point of having a quiet word with the staff to advise them of the problem whilst I was there.

Vasteras, Sweden
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

But was your only actual complaint that there was a curtain and not a door to the kitchen?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

the only problem I can see is all those fishy reviews

heaps of folk who have joined TA just to rave about this one restaurant

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to report Restaurants for health code violations?

To the best of my knowledge the only rule about doors and kitchens is that there must be at least two doors separating lavatory areas from kitchen areas. It is not uncommon these days for restaurants to make a point of having the kitchen visible from the dining area. In fact, I can think of several restaurants I have been to where food is prepared within the dining area. There is a sushi restaurant in Camden where the chefs prepare the food inside a sort of tiled open box in the middle of the dining area, so you sit at your table watching them chopping and rolling the food that is about to be brought to your table. There's also a noodle place I can think of round the back of Liberty where the kitchen is behind a glass screen so that you can watch them cooking while you queue up for a table. My only concern with a curtain would be that it is presumably made from some sort of textile and therefore harder to keep constantly clean than a surface such as metal or glass. Also, the staff presumably have to pull the curtain back and forth all the time, whereas a professional kitchen ought, for both practical and hygiene reasons, to be hinged in such a way that it can be pushed open and closed from both directions, which is easier for waiting staff who may have both hands full and more hygienic as their hands aren't touching the door.

I agree it is odd that 28 out of 42 5-star reviews and 3 out of 3 4-star reviews are posted by single-post contributors.