We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

I have a long layover at Heathrow for my upcoming trip in summer (june), In and out bound flights are both from T3 (Virgin) with a space of 10+ hours (noon to 10pm). What are my best options for

1) Economical hotel at the airport

2) Short trip nearby

Traveling with 5 and 7 year olds so leaning towards 1 since I have heard lines can be a nightmare to get in and out of LHR.

Options?

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

Here's an article addressing layovers at Heathrow...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c170832/Londo…

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

That travel article needs some fixing. While the information is useful, it tells people to take Hoppa buses everywhere, when in the vast majority of cases the regular London buses (free) will do the job.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

Even if you book a hotel room you will need to leave via immigration and re-enter via security, so that doesn't avoid the lines. Perhaps worth enquiring if there is an airside lounge you can use.

england
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

there are some rather small play areas in the airport heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/s…

You'll be jetlagged, although the children may have slept. Rather than spend a lot of money outside the airport I'd probably get them a new toy and give it to them in the airport.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

There is a lounge with an option to book a bedroom in T3: Looks like they have good facilities for children as well. If you're all tired, it's probably money well-spend.

no1traveller.com/heathrow-airport-lounge-ter…

Otherwise, all hotels or trips would require you to leave the airside area of the terminal. Not sure if it's wise to book a hotel if you can go to the lounge?

We have 11,5h and 6h layovers in Heathrow (with kids). I was planning to spend the longer layover in London and for the shorter one I just don't know yet.

For the London trip you have to calculate roughly 1h for the immigration etc, 1h for the trip to London, 1h for the trip back and 2-3 hours for the security, boarding etc.

If you are not too tired, you could take Piccadilly Line (tube) to Piccadilly Circus and take the HOHO bus tour? Just sit on the bus and see the sights. And then hop off and have a nice British Afternoon Tea somewhere close to the tube station. And then head back. This would be easy and not too much walking if you're little tired but you are afraid you'll get terribly bored at the airport. The kids usually like cakes and scones.

From my endless list of useful links:

The luggage storage: http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

The tube information: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

The hoho bus: http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

Afternoon tea: http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/

Windsor Castle is of course near the airport but with smaller kids and tired it may not be the best idea. You would need to walk considerably more.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
4,977 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle
10,359 Reviews
Windsor, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

Thanks everyone!!

I really want a quiet place to sleep/rest for 3-4 hours, from what I can find the No 1 lounge (bedrooms) are pretty expensive ( 120 pounds for 3 hours)

Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

I would stay at Jurys Inn Hatton which is lower cost than most and they have "deals" now.

A taxi is less hassle and easier both ways.

You can easily travel to London center for a few hours from there (walk to Hatton station around the corner and get a day pass), but it may just be too much for kids that age, especially if in the rush hours. It's about 1hr to Temple. Just staying at the hotel may be the best option.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
8. Re: 10.5 hour layover at LHR. Travelling with Children. Options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:16