We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

We will be arriving at LHR around 9am. What would be the best method of travel from there to our hotel, Marriott Hotel County Hall located at Westminster Bridge Road? There will be 3 of us traveling with approximately 4 pieces of luggage.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

I suppose we should thank people who use the Heathrow Express because by using this (the most expensive per-mile rail trip in the world, apparently) it keeps the fares down for the rest of us.

Sensible people use the Tube from Heathrow. Direct on the Piccadilly Line into central London. One change will get you almost anywhere.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,006 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

The Heathrow Express doesn't go anywhere near County Hall, so you'd need another form of transport to get there. If it's early in the day on a weekday you'll be fighting for that transport with tens of thousands of commuters, the HEX ALONE for two costs more than a car service even before you add on the cost of taxi / bus / Tube to County Hall.

The Tube takes you to within a couple of hundred yards of the hotel, costs a fraction of the HEX or car service and by leaving by the Bridge Street exit you get one of the greatest introductions to London possible

In short - use the HEX if someone else is paying for it or you have money to burn

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

>>I suppose we should thank people who use the Heathrow Express because by using this (the most expensive per-mile rail trip in the world, apparently) it keeps the fares down for the rest of us.<<

Keeps what fares down for the rest of us, and how exactly?

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

The best option for you would be to book a car service. No hassle with the luggage and it will take you from the airport straight to the destination.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

The reason there are men selling HEX tickets right after immigration and customs is that they want to catch newbies before they realise how far they will have to walk to the HEX or realise how much cheaper and more convenient for the parts of London they might want to visit the tube is.

When they accost me I tell them I am a resident and not an idiot and they go away.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 13:51
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

The other reason is that they can because the HEX is owned by the same company that owns Heathrow. I am constantly amazed at how many people get taken in by a smart purple uniform and someone selling something that appears to have the official backing of the airport.

California
Level Contributor
689 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

We used the car service Justairports. After a long flight from the states I did not want to deal with the Tube. The driver was waiting with a sign, and got us to our destination. I had prepaid from home so there was nothing to pay or haggle about. I booked from and to. Very easy.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

We just got back from London where we also stayed at the Marriott County Hall (very nice hotel, you can check out my review). We took the Heathrow Express because we had researched nothing before getting there (too busy with work). The ticket sellers are right there when you exit customs. We bought the 34 pound round trip ticket (yes, it's expensive). It's easy, and if you are coming off a long day of traveling, easy is worth the money. Dropped us off at Paddington Station and we hopped on a cab to the hotel! Easy peasy! Enjoy your trip!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

It may have been "easy peasy" marian60, but it as many have mentioned that would have cost an arm and a leg compared to the tube which can be done from as little as £3 per person (or £6 round trip) and take overall about the same time.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best way to travel from LHR to hotel

So £85 (£68x2 plus approx £17 for a taxi) as against £12 to maybe save 5 minutes? I truly don't get it.