We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Scotland
8 posts
Save Topic
Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Can anyone tell me if it's possible or easy to get back to Gatwick Airport after being to a show at Hammersmith Apollo. I'm assuming that the show will finish around 22:30 but could be later. Does LT put on extra tubes after shows? I think the last Gatwick Express train leaves Victoria around 00:30. I'm (hopefully) staying overnight at the airport. Any help would be great!!

London
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Southern run trains all night between Victoria and Gatwick. No need to pay the premium for trains branded express, they only save a few minutes.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

They don't put on extra services, no

But the last tube is well after midnight so you shouldn't have a problem

Be aware that some of the trains in the night are Gatwick Express- eg 0330. It can be a long wait for a Southern train at the wrong time

Edited: 26 March 2014, 07:29
Scotland
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Didn't know that - thought I was gonna be stranded! Many thanks...

Scotland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Yeah thanks for this - I've downloaded the timetable. I'm in no hurry to get back to airport, just as long as I get there to sleep before noon flight back to Scotland!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

And First Capital Connect runs trains throughout the night (hourly in the "stupid o'clock" hours) from Blackfriars to Gatwick. Their fare is only £10, compared to £15 for regular Southern and £19.90 for Gatwick Express.

If you have a zone 1-6 travelcard (off peak £8.90) for that day you can use it until 4.30am the next morning, and buy an extension fare from the zone 6 boundary to Gatwick for £5.10. That would save you money, and makes the Tcard plus extension cheaper than the Southern train ticket from Victoria.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Where in Scotland are you going? For Glasgow and Edinburgh you have more than enough time to catch the sleeper from Euston - and if further north you could take the sleeper to Glasgow / Edinburgh then normal train further

Sounds a better option than dossing at an airport

Scotland
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

I'm much further north than Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'm 45 miles from Inverness! So unfortunately only 2 flights a day! I'll book a cheap room at the Premier Inn...

Scotland
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Many thanks for all your help. I've learned a lot and Everyone has been brilliant.!!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

Consider a room at the Gatwick Yotel. They're 'pod' rooms (i.e., small), but really comfy beds and great showers. They're situated inside the South Terminal itself.

http://www.yotel.com/Hotels/London-Gatwick

Edited: 26 March 2014, 10:44
10. Re: Getting back to Gatwick from Hammersmith

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:17