We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Topic
Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

Hi TA experts,

My friend and I will be taking KLM from Kuala Lumpur to London transiting at Amsterdam for 2 hours. First time travelers to UK and Europe. A bit nervous! :{

My questions are:

- Are there any info that is good to know (pre flight) to avoid confusion, time wasted, simply making the transit/travel easier?

- What about the reverse? LON - KL, transit at Amsterdam?

- Any visa/paper work needed for us? We hold a Malaysian passport. I know we don't need a visa to travel to the UK, what about the transit in Amsterdam? We'll be also going to a few Europe countries during our trip.

- How many hours should we allocate prior to check-in for the departure (flight back to KL)?

As this is my first time traveling there, I would like to be prepared as much as I possibly can. The more I know, the less nervous I am!

A million thanks! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

>>>- Any visa/paper work needed for us? We hold a Malaysian passport. I know we don't need a visa to travel to the UK, what about the transit in Amsterdam? We'll be also going to a few Europe countries during our trip.<<<<

Not sure what other EU countries you intend to visit but Malaysian passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for the Schengen Area (see link)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Ma…

Have a nice trip to the UK and Europe.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

'Are there any info that is good to know (pre flight) to avoid confusion, time wasted, simply making the transit/travel easier?' Yes. Use the KLM 'Manage My Booking' (or similar) function to keep an eye on your booking in case there is a change in departure time. I think KLM offers OLCI (on line check in) from 24 hours before scheduled departure time - use this option to check in as soon as it's available. You need not print boarding passes as you can collect them at the airport when you hand in your bags at the desk.

Make sure you arrive *at the airport* at least two hours before scheduled departure time. Better to have time for a cup of tea before departure than have to run through Security and to the gate.

AMS Schiphol airport is large and efficient. You will go through a Security check at the gate before you board the plane to London, where the liquids and gels rules will hold, so ensure you have nothing in your hand baggage in containers larger than 100mL. Keep an eye on the Departures screens at AMS as some gates are a long walk from the main body of the terminal building.

Since you hold Malaysian passports you do not need Schengen visas. However, your passports *must* be valid for at least three months after your departure date from the Schengen area. As well, you may not spend more than 90 days in any 180 day period in the Schengen countries without a visa; your passports will be stamped on entry to and exit from the Schengen area. Your passport will not be stamped at AMS en route to London as you will make an airside connection and will not enter the Netherlands (and Schengen).

Heathrow is a very busy airport. Although your flight from there to AMS (for your return to KL) will be a short haul service, I suggest you plan to be at the airport no later than two and a half hours before scheduled departure. The journey from central London to Heathrow could take an hour or more depending on your start point and how you plan to travel, and there could be delays along the way at any point.

If you would like to know more about how to travel from (and to) Heathrow and central London please let us know the time of day and day of the week your flights arrive and depart and whether you have booked with KLM all the way from KL.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

Amsterdam DE (and regular on the Air Travel Forum) Ronaldo C had written a very helpful travel article on how to connect at Amsterdam Schipol.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

Malaysia
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

Wow! Thank you for the quick replies! :)

There are so much to know!

I booked my ticket via KLM website in KL. Will definitely check-in online if possible.

Here are the flight details:

Flight from KL-AMS on May 1: dept 23.30, arr 5.55

Transit time 2hr 35min

Flight from AMS-LON dept 8.30, arr 9.00.

Return flight:

Flight from LON-AMS on May 12: dept 16.05, arr 18.20

Transit time 2hr 30min

Flight from AMS-KL dept 20.50, arr 14.55 (May 13)

Will be getting the Oyster card to use. Staying within walking distance from Kings Cross station.

One more thing, just read the link given by USBusinessTraveller (Thanks! Its very informative), if I booked the whole flight (KL-AMS-LON) from KLM, this means our tickets are "through tickets" right? That means, we do not need to collect our luggage in AMS and re-check-in again before our flight to LON. We only need to check-in our luggage in KL and collect in LON. Am correct?

Sorry for the many questions, am a newbie to transit flights. :(

Thanks again for all the information!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

".... if I booked the whole flight (KL-AMS-LON) from KLM, this means our tickets are "through tickets" right? That means, we do not need to collect our luggage in AMS and re-check-in again before our flight to LON. We only need to check-in our luggage in KL and collect in LON. Am correct?"

You are indeed correct. You're on through tickets and won't need to clear immigration or customs in AMS in either direction.

You've booked the right way, and have plenty of time between flights at AMS in both directions. You should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

Edit - the only thing you may want to look it is whether to get Oyster cards. As you're a "we" you may benefit from the 2 for 1 offers, which require a different form of travel ticket. Look under the Top Questions on the right hand side for 2 for 1 (or 241). That's nothing to do with your flights, but possibly a way to save money while in London.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 06:15
Malaysia
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

Hi again,

Thanks! It's good to know.

About the 2 for 1 tickets, read about it, also considered, but the places we planned to go to are all free :) that's why we don't plan to get it. With our other travels and a wedding to attend in Kent, we'll be in London for about 3 1/2 days, it will be a packed trip!

Thank you again! :)

7. Re: Flight from KL - LON Heathrow, transit at Amsterdam via KLM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16