We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of questions!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of questions!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this area forum. We're going to London for bank holiday weekend in May and I could do with as much advice and tips as possible! We're travelling with a 7yr old, 2yr old and a buggy! We only have one full day in the city itself so we want to make the most of it.

First plan is to do the London Eye, we have merlin passes. We're aiming to get there for around 9.30am and do it as early as possible. Is this recommended?

Then I thought we'd walk across to Big Ben. From here we'd like to go to Buckingham Palace. Is this walking distance?

From Buckingham Palace we'd like to go to Rainforest Cafe for lunch, again walking distance or transport needed?

After lunch we want to go to Hamleys then back down towards the Thames. We've been to many sealife centres, is the London one worth a visit?

We want to get back to Waterloo for around 5.30pm. The train ticket we are looking at says one day travelcard included - does this cover the tube?

Any other recommendations or suggestions? Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of questions!

See walkit.com

Travelcard covers tube, and buses.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of questions!

The Eye is best when the weather and visibility good - you'll be able to decide in the morning.

All those are walkable though I'd recommend getting the tube/bus (129 I think) from Hamleys (Pic Circus) to Waterloo. If you aren't great walkers consider a bus (14, 19, 38) from Green Park (near Buckingham Palace) to Shafestburys Avenue for Rain Forest Cafe.

The London Aquarium is quite good, better than the traditional sea life centres but not as good as the world famous aquariums.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of questions!

>>Travelcard covers tube, and buses.<<

And trains (with a couple of exceptions).

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of questions!

Definitely too far for a 7 year old to walk from Buck House to the Rainforest café. Take the bus as suggested - getting a buggy on the Tube is a pain. Do beware that he Rainforest café gets absolutely rammed and there is usually a long queue to go in at weekends, I'd recommend booking.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of questions!

We're planning on prebooking thanks. Unless anyone else can recommend a fun restaurant in the vicinity of where I've talked about?

Thanks for all the advice so far! Really useful.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of questions!

Buckingham Palace to the Rainforest Cafe is just under 1 mile - just under 20 minutes' walk. I should have thought that a bus would just be more hassle than it's worth and will only save you a few minutes' travelling time. In general, look use Google Maps, which is pretty accurate for both walking and public transport.

essex england
Level Contributor
137 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of questions!

you could always get a taxi from buck house kids will love it

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of questions!

I would still opt for walking. I would take the slightly longer (+ approx. 2 mins) route up the Mall, taking in St James's Palace on the left hand side and then turn left up towards Piccadilly Circus either at Waterloo Place for the Duke of York Column or a little further up just before Admiralty Arch. You would take in a few more sights this way.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of questions!

I think I'd book the Rainforest Cafe and check the weather forecast the day before.

We had a Merlin Pass last year and often combined the Sealife Centre with the London Eye. If the queue for the Eye looked too long or it was raining we'd nip into the Sealife Centre for 45 mins then try again later. (we had a Premium pass so we could bypass the queue for the Sealife Centre).

Is the Sealife worth it if you've been to others? I'd say a "yes" as long as the 7 year old likes fish and sharks etc. (I'm not sure I'd still say "yes" if you forking out £30+). Your toddler is bound to love it. There is a rainforest section...so that should get everybody excited about lunch! There are a couple of sets of loos in there (and there are some downstairs in the building that houses the London Eye ticket office).

My 6 year old would easily walk from Southbank to Buckingham Palace (though I would break the journey up with either stopping for a coffee/icecream on the other side of Westminster Bridge). If the weather isn't brilliant you could get the underground from Westminster to St James Park. There is a nice little playground at the Buckingham Palace end of St James Park (opposite Wellington Barracks).

A cab down The Mall is a great idea.

Hamleys? You are very brave!

Hope you have a lovely day-trip.

10. Re: Lots of questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16