We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money should i take to London for school trip?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sebago, Maine
3 posts
Save Topic
How much money should i take to London for school trip?

I'm 18 going to London on a school trip with Ef tours for 7 days. Everything is basically already paid for the flight, two meals a day breakfast and supper, hotel, any other transportation we take while we are there and the tour places we go to like the theater performance. How much money should I bring with me for like lunch and things like that?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

Pret, good LMAO

Each to his own I suppose.

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

I'm guessing that travel cards for tubes and buses will be purchased on your behalf by EF. Ask the organiser in advance. Best advice so far is going to a supermarket to buy your lunch. By the way when we say crisps you say "chips" but when we say chips we mean your "fries". If I were sending my child of your age to New York I would reckon they would need £120.00. This is because of extras like souvenirs (Be very afraid if you forget to buy your folks a gift) and treats like The Eye, the Shard and just stuff you absolutely won't be able to resist. You can spend a lot more. London is a very safe city considering how big it is (biggest in Europe by far) but do be careful with your stuff - just as careful as you would be on a trip to a big city at home. Oh and well done for having the intiative to use Tripadvisor. Have a wonderful time!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

By the way. In the UK the underground trains are usually called the tube. If you go through door marked "Subway" you will finish up in a sandwich bar not a train station!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

I think answer 2 is the best answer. Imagine you are going to Boston or New York for the same amount of time . Prices on the whole will be fairly similar. Some things will be a bit different but that will do,as a rough guide.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

i would think somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 (US) which would be around 120 GBP give or take. I wouldn't plan just 5 pounds for lunch ... you can get lunch for that, sure ... and if you do, then you'll have extra left over. But if you go to a more expensive place, you will want to be prepared.

I am in the UK fairly often and eat out at small lunch places around my office and I almost always spend around 4 pounds without a soda ... and that's for just a sandwich or salad. So I am thinking I would estimate on the high side. Plus, you will probably need to pay for snacks, sodas, etc on your own ... and souvenirs

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

I think the question is where you will be at lunch time. Is everybody in your group going to have lunch together? Do you know in which area you will be every day? Are you having lunch in some attraction? (i.e. in one of the British Museum's cafés) Because those can be more expensive. You can street-google the different areas where you will be having lunch to see what kind of restaurants/supermarkets there are so you can budget accordingly.

As mentioned by other people, souvenirs can be very cheap or very expensive, depending on where you buy them. In my experience, gift shops in museums can be pricey but products are very good quality. Maybe you can buy something for you and your parents there and then something less expensive for your friends somewhere else.

The London Eye ticket is £19.95

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

If you are 18 (and have no personal or medical reasons not to drink alcohol) you should definitely go to a pub, even just for half a pint (or even for a coke). They are a British institution and the drinking age is 18 here. Some even do pretty good food (e.g. Sunday lunches - expect to pay just under £20 for a large roast lunch and a pint if you go somewhere good), or perhaps try a pub quiz with some of your friends.

Beer / cider is normally is £3.00-4.50 a pint, depending on what it is (do try to buy good beer /cider)

(Kitty remembers going to the States just after her 18th Birthday and being able to have alcohol on the plane but having nothing to drink on the holiday itself... grr...)

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:57
18. Re: How much money should i take to London for school trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16