We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

I posted this on the Scotland forum, but since it also involves Heathrow, and this forum gets a lot more traffic, I thought I'd post it here, too...

We'll be arriving at Heathrow at 11 am on a Saturday in September (Delta T4) and will be taking an afternoon flight (3:15 pm - Virgin Atlantic, landing at around 4:30 pm) to Edinburgh. From EDI, we will be renting a car and driving up to just south of Fort William.

I know the SIMs are more expensive at the airports, but I'm thinking I won't find a Carphonewarehouse or Vodafone (or similar) in or around Fort William. I'll be looking for a phone/data SIM for my unlocked Sprint Galaxy S4. I know reception will probably not be great in the Highlands, but I'd like to have some access to phone/internet. I've read Vodafone has the best coverage, so ideally I would like to get a Vodafone SIM.

We'll be in the Highlands for a week, then will be in London for a week. I know I'll be able to find a SIM in London, but was wondering what my chances are of finding one before we get to London.

Thanks,

Kay

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

Try WH Smith newsagents in the arrivals area of the airports. There are also vending machines selling SIM cards, but expect to pay £5 or more whereas a store may provide for free with a top up purchase.

There's a SIM card store in Heathrow Terminal 1 if you want to travel round to there.

You should be able to buy a SIM at many stores such as Tesco, ASDA, various newsagents, drug stores like Superdrug etc.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

I trust you have read and understood the advice you were given in the Scotland forum

Edited: 28 March 2014, 08:08
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

Since my earlier post I've seen that your Virgin flight goes from T1. Here are links for the 'SIM Local' store in T1 arrivals (you should be able to walk into there as it's land side');

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

http://www.simlocal.co.uk/

Petrol stations (gas stations) often sell SIM cards.

Not withstanding whatever you've been advised in the Scotland forums......

Edited: 28 March 2014, 08:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

I would take the advice given on the Scotland forum and find a hotel for the night then head to The Gyle Centre and visit the Carphone Warehouse shop there on the Sunday morning - http://www.gyleshopping.co.uk/

There is a Morrisons where you can top up with fuel if needed and places to get some breakfast/snacks for your trip.

I have driven the route to Fort William in both day and night and the roads are not that good in places and it will take you at least 3 hours to get there from the airport.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I should be able to pick up a SIM somewhere along the way.

I'll also take the advice of spending the night at EDI to heart. I've been to the UK many times and know all about jet-lag and lack of sleep that first day. I'm hoping to get some sleep on the overnight flights to LHR and to EDI. If I feel I'm not safe to drive the three hours to our cottage, we'll spend the night at a hotel and proceed the next day.

Thanks again!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

g0ack, just looked at that SIM Local link. Looks like that will be the most convenient option. They have a Vodafone data/phone SIM for £25. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

Depending on your dates you may need to pre-book a hotel in Edinburgh.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

I've looked at the Premier Inn at Newbridge and it looks like it will work for us - but can't book a room just yet for the end of September. Will have to check back in a few weeks. Thanks.

9. Re: SIM purchase - LHR, EDI or Fort William area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16