We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Hello there!

We will be staying in Southwark, about 2 blocks from the Borough Market to be exact.

I know I can get some amazing food at the market... However, I was hoping some locals in the area could recommend spots that they enjoy. Be it pubs, restaurants, cafes.. We want to really take in London and its locals away from tourist traps , so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

After a visit to Borough Market, we almost always pop in to the Globe for a few pints, it's on the south end of the market. It gets pretty busy in the weeknight evenings but we've always managed to find a spot to relax for a bit before heading back on the tube. These websites will help you find other pubs in the area:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…London_Bridge

http://www.fancyapint.com/

2. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 13:51
Edited: 02 April 2014, 13:51
3. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 13:51
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

And the TA reviews: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Right by the Northern Line exit to the tube at London Bridge Station is My Tea Shop - a great little (and I mean LITTLE) café / greasy spoon that does wonderful breakfasts and snacks all day, including the weekend.

Their mushroom omelette really hit the spot the morning of a tube strike, I can tell you.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Brilliant. Thank you all so very much! Anything else comes to mind throw it my way. Can't wait!!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

"The Globe" makes an appearance in the first Bridget Jones film, as I recall.

For something a little different, pop into Katzenjammers, an underground German beer hall, opposite the Borough High St entrance for London Bridge tube.

Mike

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Oh yeah, I forgot about that (they have a few posters up on the walls across from the loo). Bridget was supposed to live upstairs above the Globe. It's still worth a visit though! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

Another good pub is The George - just off Borough High Street - owned by The National Trust and the only galleried pub left in London. Had a very good pint here last week and at the right temperature.

10. Re: Southwark recommendations - Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:16