We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

Thinking of going to a concert in the Barbican Hall next month. Anyone who knows the venue well, can you please tell me:

1. The Mid-Stalls ~ it looks on the seating plan as though there is a transverse aisle in front of the front row, is that right? (I can get a bit claustrophobic, and if I pick a seat that's not on the side aisle, and there are very few left, I like it if there's a sideways aisle immediately in front of me).

2. Higher up the circles ~ are the seats quite raked? I'm short, so leg-room is rarely an issue but a 6-footer in front of me is.

3. Could someone right me a guide for idiots as to how to get out of the hall and which way to turn to get the Tube? I have extremely minimal sense of direction, and it'll be dark. I actually prefer buses but apparently there aren't any stops near by.

Yes, I've looked at Theatre Monkey.

Yes, I've looked at tfl.

I still need help!

Ta.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

Directions will depend on which tube station you're aiming for. I know the way from Moorgate (assuming the Crossrail diggings haven't closed yet more roads in the area!). So, you'd head towards the entrance/exit on Silk Street, walk down to the end of the road, cross over to where Wagamama is and walk under the glass underpass between Wagamaga and the Korean restaurant to the plaza where City Point is located. Keep the Rack & Tenter on your right and the road you come to (which will be left-right) is Moofields - Moorgate tube entrance (one of them) is just across the way.

Or you can follow the directions from walkit, but from memory, New Union Street is a little deserted at night - although after a show, it should probably be OK.

http://walkit.com/cities/london

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

Hi.

First, yes, there is a gap between the front block of stalls and the ones behind. See these pics for confirmation:

barbican.org.uk/images/flash/111barbicanhall…

barbican.org.uk/promoters/images/Barbican_Ha…

barbican.org.uk/promoters/images/Barbican_Ha…

Secondly, there is a decent raking, yes, though not as extreme as, say, the Sheldonian, where you are pretty much sitting on the feet of the person behind you, and, more pertinently, you have the person in front of you sitting on your feet. I have tried to find good photos to show the incline but cannot find anything.

Thirdly, to get out: first, make sure that you are on the circle level, i.e. the ground floor, where the box office is. Walk up the inclined walkway up to the box office. Exit through the multiple doors onto Silk Street. Turn left as soon as you get out of the doors. Walk past Chimes music shop. At the top, opposite the cinema, turn left onto Beech Street, which looks like a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel-like section you will be on Aldersgate Street. Barbican tube station is right across the road from you now.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

Thankyou both very much.

Ticket booked, Row G!

4. Re: Barbican Hall - access and accessibility questions, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:16