We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

George Town...
4 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

G' day.

Will be arriving at Heathrow Terminal 4 on 1630, 04/05/2014 (Sunday) are was looking at most cost-effective option to travel to Forest Hill. Checked Transport For London Webpage, and found that London Overground does not operate on Sunday whereby only Bus options were given. Be carrying huge luggage and thought that usage of buses may not be convenient.

Sincerely seeking advises on alternatives.

Thank you.

Loh, EC

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

You may take the Underground from Heathrow to London Bridge - change at Green Park, using the escalators up from Piccadilly line platform to the ticket hall, then another down to the Jubilee line platforms for the train to London Bridge - but you need not rely on the replacement bus service from London Bridge to Forest Hill.

There will be National Rail services from London Bridge station to Sydenham, one stop past Forest Hill and a station with step free access from platform to street level. There will also be NR trains from London Bridge to Crystal Palace, which is now a step free station, but Sydenham may be nearer your destination.

Let us know how many will be travelling, please, and your destination in Forest Hill.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 05:05
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

May 4 is a Bank Holiday weekend and so on Saturday and Sunday the entire line is closed between New Cross Gate and Anerley.

I'm not seeing any trains to Sydenham. Just a bus service from London Bridge calling at all stations (including Forest Hill), or the bus from Crystal Palace connecting with the service to Tattenham Corner. Neither is great but I'd consider the direct bus to Forest Hill (33 minutes) rather than the train and bus (43 mins). The normal train service from London Bridge to Forest Hill takes 13-15 minutes.

But yes where are you staying (hotel, street name), in case there's a better route?

The good news is that the line through Forest Hill resumes normal service on the Bank Holiday Monday.

3. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 09:35
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

Blasted NR website. When I first posted it showed services by rail from London Bridge to Sydenham, but now the services are identified as operating with rail replacement buses.

There is a rail departure from London Bridge to Crystal Palace at 1806, but it's a bit of a trek from there to Forest Hill, so like USBT I think the replacement bus service from London Bridge to Forest Hill may be a decent choice rather than backtracking from Crystal Palace.

George Town...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

Wow! Thanks to all for the immediate advises. Truly appreciated.

Perry Vale is where me and my wife (i.e. two travelers) will be residing at Forest Hill. Anticipating to carry along 1 large, 1 medium rolling suitcases along with 2 small backpacks.

Checked through Transportation for London webpage whereby the route is pretty straightforward on Monday to Saturday [Heathrow - Green Park (Piccadilly) - Canada Water (Jubilee) - Forest Hill (London Overground]. Problem only with Sunday which apparently London Overground does not operate?

Referred to Transport for London Map, whereby I see no connection between London Bridge and Forest Hill nor Sydenham/Crystal Palace as suggested by TravellerPlus. Do advise.

Will option of taking a cab from Canada Water to Forest Hill be viable on my arrival time?

Do excuse my folly.

Thank you.

Loh, EC

London
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

Trains do normally run on Sunday. The issue on your particular date is engineering works which is preventing any trains running on that part of the line. The railway company will operate a replacement bus to the affected stations - if that option doesn't show in the tfl web site it just means they haven't loaded those details yet.

Canada Water isn't a great place to get a cab. My route would be tube to Victoria. Change there for the national rail train to Crystal Palace. Then bus (or cab if you prefer) to Forest Hill. Buy a day travelcard (£8.90) at Heathrow and that covers the whole journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

You can use this website to see the schedule for public transport and an approximate price: http://www.rome2rio.com/. If you feel more comfortable with a private hire company, you will pay around 45 pounds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

Do you have any more information concerning where you are staying? Whilst one of the two exits from Forest Hill leads to Perry Vale, it is quite a long street and at the moment there the possibility that your accommodation is near to Forest Hill station is equal to the possibility that it's at the far end of the road. If the latter is true, then another option for you would be to travel to London Bridge station for a train to Lewisham and catch a route 75 bus from there. This route serves part of Perry Vale (specifically, between its junction with Woolstone Road and Perry Rise and its junction with Mayow Road). You could also catch a route 75 bus by taking a train from London Bridge to Catford Bridge but there will be more trains available to Lewisham and it is the beginning of the 75 bus route.

George Town...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

Utmost gratitude to all for the kind assistances. Indeed appreciated.

Aside to Myrtle Villa, place am staying at Forest Hill is short walking distance from London Overground Station. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Loh, EC

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 to Forest Hill on 04/05/14 (Sunday)

LohEC - could there be any possibility that you have been told that the accommodation is 'a short distance' away from the station to make it more attractive to you? Route 75 bus serves about half the length of Perry Vale so you could transfer to a route 356 bus (which serves the whole length of Perry Vale) at the junction with Mayow Road if necessary. Is there any possibility that your accommodation is also short walking distance from the Mayow Road junction?