We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HEX balloting for strike

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Topic
HEX balloting for strike

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26832095

No dates yet, but something to be aware of. Who knows, if they capitulate then maybe fares will rise to even more ridiculous levels!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HEX balloting for strike

When I saw it on the news my first thought was that I hoped they would on strike for a while. With a bit of luck the preposterous TFL site, which doesn't take times between trains into account, will stop giving the erroneous message it's quicker to some parts of London to take the HEX then something else, when to some places (eg Kings Cross) it would be quicker and far cheaper to take the Tube all the way. Too many people have been misled into thinking that HEX is the default way of getting into central London when for most parts of London there are cheaper and more direct options.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HEX balloting for strike

Will anyone notice?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HEX balloting for strike

Will anyone care?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HEX balloting for strike

The ones who think it's great because it's 'only' 15 minutes presumably. And the ones who get ambushed by their 'operatives' at Heathrow terminals.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HEX balloting for strike

You'd be surprised how many opt for the HEX, business people coming and going think it's the best thing since sliced bread?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HEX balloting for strike

That's right. Business people on expense accounts. The HEX fare will be reimbursed along with the taxi fare from Paddington to their ultimate destination. No matter that it's more expensive than the Tube and may even take longer, it's their right to reclaim for the most expensive means of travel so they're going to do it!

Edited: 01 April 2014, 18:55
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HEX balloting for strike

Judging by the date I thought it may have been a you know what ...!

But .... aside from business people, this is hardly going to be a major inconvenience for normal tourists; indeed those affected may be educated into the fact that the tube is in most cases more convenient.

The other thing is that, according to the article, the cost cutting is due to the future competition from Crossrail (which doesn't start for four years, and won't be providing a full seamless service for more than five). It's still a way off, but I do think that the HEX is going to be squeezed by CrossRail if it keeps its ridiculously sky high fares.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 19:10
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HEX balloting for strike

"The ones who think it's great because it's 'only' 15 minutes presumably. And the ones who get ambushed by their 'operatives' at Heathrow terminals."

I am convinced it is the later in most cases. I have taken the HEX twice in the past two weeks, both times during the middle of a working day, and the majority of people appeared to be tourists who had been seduced by advertising and ambushing.. The ones I spoke to were clearly unaware of alternative options and one family of four heading to Bloomsbury (via the taxi rank at Paddington) would have been stunned to learn that they could saved about £80 by taking the tube.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HEX balloting for strike

it's their right to reclaim for the most expensive means of travel so they're going to do it!

-------------------

I used to use HEX sometimes when I was on business and could claim. In fairness it was easier when travelling with laptop/hold bag and A3 artbag and cheaper than a cab from the airport rank. But tourists aren't usually travelling with such encumbrances after a redeye and going straight into work/meetings, lucky peeps.

Best was when my then employer used car services door to door though. What I don't get is why people are so unprepared they can be ambushed by said operatives tbh but that's not how I travel, I suppose.

Will be interesting to see how much Crossrail costs when it eventually opens and if it helps to put some pressure on HEX pricing.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HEX balloting for strike

One issue that Crossrail will have is that the line from Airport Junction into Heathrow Airport is owned privately by BAA Heathrow, and is not part of the National Rail network.

Crossrail will replace the present Heathrow Connect service. At present London Travelcards are not valid for travel on Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow, and I believe this will continue to be the case. Naturally all the press release are keeping quiet on this one.