We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Can someone tell me the best way to get from London Heathrow Airport to Crowne Plaza London Docklands Hotel. There are 5 of us and luggage. I hear a taxi ride can be quite expensive. Trying to see which trains could get us there.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Piccadilly line to Hammersmith. Cross the platform and get the district line to Tower Hill. Cross the road and get DLR to Royal Victoria. Www.tfl.gov.uk for a map.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

But with 5 you might prefer a car service

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

An MPV booked with a car service will be about £70-75.

I think there is an easier way to get there with public transport that doesn't involve walking from Tower Hill to Tower Gateway. But I'll let the transport experts provide that information.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Its aa horrible journey by public transport as described. I'd take a pre-booked car service as there's 5 of you travelling

Plenty of recommenations on this site like Blackberry Cars

London
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

It's a long journey by tube, but it's not what I'd call a horrible journey. The Tower Hill to Tower Gateway change sounds complicated but is an easy walk, escalators and lifts at Tower Gateway. The alternative change point to the DLR would be Bank/Monument, but I don't recommend that - it requires a long walk in miserable underground passageways.

A car service is easier, but may not save much time. The traffic heading out East can get very snarled because of queues for the tunnels. This is especially likely on weekday evening rush hours.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

The way I would recommend (which is step free) would be Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, (easy cross platform change to) District line to Westminster, (lifts down to) eastbound Jubilee line to Canning Town, where there are escalators and lifts to the DLR for Royal Victoria. One more change, but no stairs required.

You could also do Piccadilly line to Green Park, eastbound Jubilee line to Canning Town and DLR for one less change. At Green Park use the escalators up to the ticket hall, and then down to the Jubilee line (much easier than the lift option which has long walks). That's the way I do it, but I think in this case the change at Westminster may be more suited to you.

I agree it's not a horrible journey though a long one, so I'd leave it to you to decide whether to use public transport or pre-booked car.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

You should check the TfL website to ensure there are no engineering works going on that would affect your travel.

Also, realize that the walk from Tower Hill to Tower Gateway is outdoors, so inclement weather may be a consideration for that route.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

The walk from Tower Hill station (after having climbed 38 steps from train platform to ticket hall and street level) to Tower Gateway DLR station will take all of two minutes, a little longer if you will be well behaved and wait for the traffic signal to change.

I'm not a fan of the change from District to Jubilee line at Westminster and as such I would change at Green Park (done the way USBT suggests it is much easier to do than it sounds) to the Jubilee line to Canning Town then DLR from there.

One more option, though. Take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith with the cross platform change as above. Two of your party can alight from the District line train at Blackfriars, which has an escalator up to the ticket hall, which is at street level. The taxi rank is about a minute's walk from the station entrance, just to the right around the curve of Queen Victoria Street.

The two who alight at Blackfriars can wrangle the larger bags to the taxi for the short trip to Tower Gateway DLR station where they will find a lift or escalatro up to the platform. The others, perhaps with a couple of rollaboards in tow, can alight from the District line train at Tower Hill and agree to meet the rest of the party at Tower Gateway, whether on the platform or at the base of the escalator (a covered area).

Depending on the time of day and day of the week your flight arrives, as rcspeirs said traffic could mean the journey by road will be no quicker than the Underground plus DLR. I also would avoid the cange at Bank / Monument as it will be dire with bags in tow.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Heathrow Airport to London Docklands

Hi, I'd agree but where exactly in Docklands are you staying, all I'm thinking is if you changed at Hammersmith for Westminster, you could then take the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf as suggested I think, and that's all lift accessible at Westminster and at Canary Wharf. Having walked through the area on Friday, there's plenty of choices to have a coffee if you then needed to catch the dlr onwards from near by Heron Keys (?spelling wrong?) that's a nice short walk in the open but there is also the underground shopping centre route if its raining but its a fair longer walk in my own opinion.

The other depending where you are staying if near Stratford, is to take the Picidally line to Kings Cross, via lifts up to St Pancras and you may pay extra but you could get the high speed train to Stratford International and if need get the dlr from the same station back to Stratford but only if using the hotels in that area. It all depends where you are staying.