We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

antioch
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

I stumbled across it on the TFL website, haven't studied it in depth but it sounds like a interesting way of getting around relatively quickly for short distances. those that are familiar with the service what are some of the pro's and con's?

1. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 10:35
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

As a start, this thread from yesterday may be enlightening: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k73360…

We've used the system on several occasions, but I agree with the comments that it's best to carefully select for quiet corners, such as some park perimeters or river towpaths. To make it a safe experience for everyone, it takes good familiarity with biking and with London!

london
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

really set up for short 30 minute journeys but would use helmet and be aware london traffic not really great for cycling but dont let that put you off if you cycle regular

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

Bring a donor card.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

(Harriet - what's the point of that response? Getting your "post count" up?)

I guess one of the cons would be that you need somewhere to leave the back close to your final destination. If there isn't a "station" close by you might spend some time finding one and then walking back to where you wanted to get too (making it less quick for short journeys than you might have originally thought).

(Re: Harriet - all her posts appear to be the same or a similar response to multiple threads. Don't feed the troll)

Edited: 03 April 2014, 10:18
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

actually for sightseeing by the time you walk to and from a docking station you might just as well have walked (and bussed/tubed longer trips).

And London traffic for a novice who doesn't know their way about makes you a liability to others IMO.

London
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

I got chastised a while ago on the London forum for suggesting that the Barclays Bike might not be a safe idea for someone that was planning to visit London from abroad with his kids in tow! I'm glad to see people are being more cautious about hiring these bikes now.

I think these bikes are fine if you are familiar with the London roads, and an experience cyclist, but not for a young family!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

They are commonly known as "Boris Bikes" though he had very little to do with their implementation

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

They're not the best way of getting around, unless you're a regular user who knows where the pick up and drop off points are, how busy they will be, and is used to cycling in London traffic. What they are great for though is scenic rides in quiet areas. I see lots of people using them to tour Wapping on sunny weekend days for instance, when its a notably quiet and traffic-free area. You need to search out an area like that and go at the right time to make it a truly relaxing experience.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
405 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone used Barclays Cycle Hire?

I thought it a great idea when I first saw them in London in 2009. But then I was eating lunch on the steps of St. Paul's when the "Bike Naked Day" riders went by and I noticed how many of them were riding Boris Bikes. I haven't wanted to ride any since.

I also gained a new appreciation for clothing. ;)

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:24