We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Cambridge by Train

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
159 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
London to Cambridge by Train

Would like to visit a friend in Cambridge, hang around for a couple of hours, and return by midnight. Doable, if I start from London around 5 p.m.? Thanks.

Also, where should I look for train schedules and itineraries?

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

Check out the National Rail website for train schedules and fares. The trip takes about an hour each way, I believe it leaves from either Liverpool Street station or Kings Cross.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited: 03 April 2014, 03:31
California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

The express option departs from Kings Cross, not Liverpool Street, FYI.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

www.nationalrail.co.uk is the information website. Keep in mind that the trains from King's Cross will be chockablock with commuters if you join the crowds at 1700 on a weekday. The last departures from Cambridge to King's Cross are at 2230 and 2315, with the latter taking almost 90 minutes as it is a stopping train. The last fast train leaves Cambridge at 2145.

No need to book in advance, with Off Peak return fare £23.70.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
159 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

Thanks folks, very helpful indeed. And looks like King's Cross is not too far from my hotel, which is across from the British Museum.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

Kings Cross to Cambridge, 90 mins, could you go a bit earlier than 5pm? you may have to stand most of the way, it will be packed at that time of day .

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

You will see from the National Rail wesite that there are four trains an hour from Kings Cross to Cambridge. There's a half hourly fast train taking 50 minutes or so and a half hourly slow train taking 90 minutes. You'd have to be a mad to use the slow train unless you like stopping at lots of stations and watching a fast train overtake your train on the way.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

>>Thanks folks, very helpful indeed. And looks like King's Cross is not too far from my hotel, which is across from the British Museum.<<

About a 20 minute walk. I do it frequently as I am a member of the BM, and I can catch a direct train from where I live to St. Pancras, next door.

I second the suggestion to leave earlier if possible. The trains around 5pm onwards will be heaving!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
51,170 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

I third the suggestion! It won;t be a pleasant experience leaving it until 5pm!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
159 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

Will leave a couple of hours earlier then! Thanks again everyone.

10. Re: London to Cambridge by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:17