We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around London/Oxford

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking around London/Oxford

hello,

I will be staying in Oxford for 7 days, I think I will spend 4 days inside the cities, this leaves 3 free days.

I would like to have a recommendations for day hike (around 10km path).

in the nature/woods/countryside's just to taste the nature of the place :)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

Well, when you are in Oxford, you can take a walk from the centre alongside the river down to Iffley lock.....visit the church, have lunch, and walk back...that should be about 5 miles round trip.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

Thanks,I will do this on one of the days but I am looking for hiking trail outside the city.

3. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 22:54
Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

For London. See this...

http://www.walklondon.org.uk

Walks inside, outside and around London, with all the Public Transport info you need to achieve them...

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

England doesn't go in for "hiking trails": a ghastly, man-made, American invention as alien to our way of life as tipping or carrying guns.

What we have are hundreds of thousands of miles of footpaths: walkers' rights of way across (mostly) private land, with a statutory obligation on owners to maintain accessibilty, but not clear distinctiveness. SIgnage, when provided, is discreet. So there aren't a couple of "Winston S Churchill Memorial Trails" around Oxford - just thousands (seriously) of tiny signs saying "public footpath to...." , which all join up. Most are shown at www.streetmap.co.uk, and you need to read the key to the symbols for maps at http://streetmap.co.uk/idmapkey.htm#mt_3) .

Oxford is especially well off for footpaths, because both the Thames (whose towpath is pedestrian-accessible from Oxford to the sea, 30 miles east of London) and the Oxford canal (ditto, only in this case the relevant sea is at Liverpool) come into the middle of the city, so there are footpaths allowing you to walk from Christ Church (one definition of the city's centre) to virtually everywhere in England through wildlife-rich countryside (even slap bang in the middle of Oxford) without once encountering traffic - or even, if you plan it properly, having to deal with any pesky bikes getting in walkers' way.

Just enter the full postcode for where you are (OX1 1DW is a good centroid for Oxford) then trace the dashes

Dismissing the walk to Iffley is, bluntly, foolish. The "nature of the place" in Oxfordshire is very much about rivers, and the nature of all England is about two thousand years of human intervention: it's just not possible in Central England to be more than 10 minutes' walk from human habitation. The river walk to Iffley takes you through far more of this country's nature than most foreign man-made walkers' routes. So do most other walks involving the waterways round Oxford (like those across Port Meadow, an example of which is at http://www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php?/OCG/article/oxford_waterways_-_a_walk/)

Walks outside Oxford, though, are a bit trickier. The countryside between Oxford and Blenheim, and immediately around Blenheim, is flat and frequently boring: though a bit of Blenheim's grounds was prettily landscaped in the early 18th century, most is flat and boring as Kansas. Buses to and from Burford are infrequent and inconvenient (http://www.swanbrook.co.uk/oxfordservice), though the countryside (and, more important in England, the villages) are as pretty as they come

There are walks round Charlbury, and it's possible to walk from Charlbury to Oxford. Though that's about 18 miles, from mid-April you can get a lunchtime train out to Charlbury, walk back and get to Oxford before dark - even stopping at a pub en route.

The best online collections of walks around Oxford are probably at www.walkinginoxfordshire.co.uk/oxford.php and www.foxysislandwalks.co.uk/English-Walks.html

Which is to be recommended? Several.

If you've got 7 days, it';s hard to see why you'd limit yourself to one: a large proportion of the walks on the lists I've suggested can be slotted into a couple of free hours whenever there's daylight.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

Excellent summary from flanner.

For trails, have a lok at National Trails, eg Thames Path, North Downs Way, Cotswold Way, etc etc.

But, as flanner says, these are simply many ancient footpaths designated as something new...

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

Thank you very much for the detailed post.

I am not limiting myself to one walk/hike,I will probably do 2 walks around oxford.

so far I've seen that most of the walks go through villages and small towns, which is a new experience for me, where I come from I used to go for hiking in remote areas that why I was little bit confused.

Could you please recommend few walks with convenient access in public transportation? (It will help me to narrow my options)

Level Contributor
3,505 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

You're unlikely to find hiking trails in "remote areas" in the south of England - it's one of the most densely populated areas in Europe. You certainly won't find anything remote that is also accessible by public transport!

Most of the replies above include details of public transport - I'm not sure how much more help you need, but if you carefully read the replies you'll see that the posters have kindly and carefully given you details of how to get to the walks.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

www.walkinginoxfordshire.co.uk/oxford.php

if you pick Thame to Princes Risborough Phoenix trail...take a bus 280 from Oxford to Thame...and on the way back from PR take a train to Haddenham and Thame station...and bus 280 back to Oxford.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking around London/Oxford

Re walking in cities and urban areas. Most walks, trails are signposted / waymarked but it is still best to take a map with you as a backup. 4 weeks ago I was in London and came across a waymarker for the Capital Ring Walk so I decided to follow it. Yes I did have a OS map with me but being a old one (20+ old) the route was not marked on it. On Urban trails it only takes one marker to be missing or turn around by helpful youths and you can find yourself off route very quickly. I only walked 15 miles of the route but I walked 20 miles plus because off the missing signs. I intend to return to do the full route soon but will be buying a new map first. Only yesterday I was doing another Urban walk the Leeds Country Way again because of missing signs it's impossible to do it without maps. So if anybody is thinking about urban trails please buy a OS map as a backup to your route finding.