We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
168 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

Are there places that serve high tea, which I've read is kind of a light dinner, or is it more served at home?

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

You're welcome teacher91 and it's a fair cultural exchange because the first time I ever ate "proper" chili was in the beautiful Lone Star State when I was very young. Like our clotted cream, you can never replicate Texan chili elsewhere! Have a lovely visit in June.

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

However, "Hotels like the Savoy and the Ritz call their afternoon tea "high" tea " is not quite right, as Savoy serves both. But just replacing scones with crumpets and pastries with scramble eggs doesn't seem right.

Think I'll just go for a late Afternoon Tea instead. Thanks all!

Edited: 05 April 2014, 03:16
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

Actually, Fortnum's serves a Savoury Tea as well as real High Tea with Welsh Rarebit, kedgeree etc. It's 44 pounds, really up there if you ask me. But it is for my birthday visit to London!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

LittleLamb that was very interesting, thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

<<Hotels like the Savoy and the Ritz call their afternoon tea "high" tea because they know that's what foreign visitors are more likely to call it. At my favourite, Fortnum & Mason, they don't mind which >>

It looks to me as though Fortnum's and The Savoy both do a separate HT menu, although it appears( as someone else commented) that most of the hot dishes are the sort of thing you might be offered at a posh brunch.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

To add to Little Lamb's excellent explanation.....the question 'what's for tea?' means ' what are we having for the evening meal?' in this part of the country.

In my Northern childhood days 'lunch ' was a snack taken at morning playtime or mid morning break in the workplace.'Dinner' was the main meal of the day taken mid day - meat and two veg + pudding. No such thing as packed lunches in school -though sometimes the menfolk had to take a lunchbox and billycan of tea if they worked somewhere with no canteen facilities. ('Canteen' note -nothing fancy like 'Cafeteria'!)

'Tea' was eaten when children got home from school and Dad from work- as said, anything from a fry up or fish and chips to a salad in summer + plus bread and butter and cups of tea.

'Supper' was a snack plus a milky drink (cocoa, ovaltine, Horlicks) eaten just before going to bed

Edited: 05 April 2014, 10:01
london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

I never knew it was called high tea because of the height of the chairs. Learn something new every day.

Also having had a northern upbringing it was a bit of a shock to the system when I went away to university and first met "posh" people who ate their evening meal at 8pm and called it supper! Madness! Everyone knows tea is at 5.30 and that supper is a bowl of cornflakes, a few buttered rich teas or a slice of pork pie if mum had been to the market, in front of the 9 o'clock news.

Now that I live in the south and have a typical commute my tea isn't till 730 a fact that after 20 years my dad still can't his head around!

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

chesterbuff good point about supper and poynders how funny because I had exactly the same experience at university - saying what? you eat supper just before bed? Tea was a hot drink to some and quite a big meal to others, including many southerners. Do you call the drink tea a brew, rosey, or a cuppa? I love that we still have those regional differences - different accents, idiom, slang ("I won't be home WHILE 2pm" in Yorkshire but UNTIL down south). I hope we never lose it but suspect it will happen sadly.

Sussex
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

about the height of the chairs...it was the height of the table that made the difference. A dining room table is "high" compared to a side or occasional table placed in the drawing room. A bit like today - having a few snacks with drinks on your coffee table rather than sitting at the dining table.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: high tea in London (NOT afternoon tea)

I think we are slowly loosing these expressions, I've just heard that there's a place in London that is marketing "high tea" which is really afternoon tea, to attract North American/Aussie tourists. I know London is "different" to the rest of the UK but how long before it catches on.