We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London with 8 and 11 year old boys

New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
London with 8 and 11 year old boys

What are some fun activities that would be appealing to both adults and kids? We're thinking Tower of London and British Museum. I know Science Museum and Natural History are supposed to be good but we've been to these types of museums (in NYC) and wonder if the boys will be underwhelmed or bored. What goes on at Covent Gardens? Is Kensington Palace worth a visit? How about those on-and-off city bus tours? Any ideas appreciated. thanks!

Mentioned in this post
England Experience Tours
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Abbey Tours- Day Trips
Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Expat Explore Travel
Bus Tours, City Tours
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

Hyde Park, London Eye, Harry Potter studio, Madame Tussaud's.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

Sone random suggestions. Look up RIB ride. HMS Belfast. Tower of London. I agree about the NH and science museums you have the same in NYC from what I read. Covent garden is shops and markets, bars and restaurants, not much of interest for your typical kid except maybe the street performers. St Paul's, whispering gallery, walk up to the top maybe, perhaps London Eye if weather is good. Rowing boat on the serpentine (small lake in Hyde park).

If I'd have been taken to Kensington Palace at that age I'd have run away from home, I can't imagine any small boy liking that. Are you sure you aren't channelling your desires with that one? :-)

Mentioned in this post
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

I agree they would probably hate kensington palace. If you do a group ticket I would suggest, London dungeon, London eye, river cruise and aquarium. The science museum and natural science museum are fantastic. They are free and right next to each other so if they hate it you can leave and haven't invested anything. Tower of London is great and just walking along the south bank, parliament buildings, covent gardens, m&m store in leister square, Chinatown, Trafalgar Square (climb on the lions), walk down the mall, outside Buckingham palace. If they like Harry potter the studio tour outside London is fabulous. I didn't know anything about Harry potter the first time I went and loved it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

It may or may not be your sort of thing but as a souvenir you can take home the brass rubbing that you made yourself of an English king or queen or knight or similar.

The café in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields on the north east corner of Trafalgar Square have a brass rubbing centre with brasses of all different sizes, some quite small and easy to pack.

stmartin-in-the-fields.org/visiting/…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

Take the fast Jubilee line to North Greenwich, then an Emirates cable car ride high over the River Thames, use the DLR automatic trains to return, sit at the front with a drivers eye view.

Fast Thames Clipper boat ride.

Ride on the top deck of a normal London bus.

Covent Garden has the London Transport Museum

Cutty Sark Tea Clipper sailing ship at Greenwich

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

They might like something like the Rainforest Cafe. It's expensive, with somewhat mediocre food, but the kids may think it's great fun. Definitely the Harry Potter tour.

Museums can be great, but you have to let the children leave when they've had enough - which may only be 20-30 minutes, but as they are free to get in, this doesn't matter. They may like things liek the Imperial War Museum too.

Take them to a show. I'm not sure what's showing right now, but there are several child-friendly musicals on.. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory etc is good (and the theatre is an easy walk from, say, the Rainforest cafe).

They may like London Zoo .. of course there are zoos everywhere, so grown ups may not feel this is time so well spent!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

I'd do a search for an informative trip report by regular poster, Monikavan.

She has visited London a few times with her family which includes two boys of a similar age to yours.

I'm afraid I can't link at the moment.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

My advice always is to hand your boys each a guide book and let them make a list of the things that interest them. Include at least one thing from their lists in each day's itinerary. I think you may well be surprised at what is important to them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

You said the British Museum which is enormous so head straight for the Egyptology section. Children seem to love the goriness of the Egyptian mummies and the British museum has a good selection.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London with 8 and 11 year old boys

I loved the Egyptian mummies in the BM at that age. And the bog man. Anything a bit gory basically.

I also loved the Covent Garden street performers, some of whom are seriously good and fun for both kids and adults.