We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Thank you all very much for such a helpful forum! We are planning a trip this summer for our family of five (the kids will be 16, 12 & 6). We will be in London from July 30-August 3 (four nights).

We were leaning toward staying at the PI Waterloo, the PI County Hall, or the Hampton by Hilton Waterloo. All three are about the same price for two rooms (~325-350 GBP for two rooms per night), and all look like they would suit us fine.

We are now wondering whether we would enjoy staying near Hyde Park instead, to be closer to the museums and the park itself. My wife has memories of enjoying the area near Harrod's and the V&A Museum on a previous trip to London. However, that neighborhood seems to be pricier. Can anyone recommend a hotel in that area that would keep us in the 325-350 GBP per night range (for two rooms or a flat large enough for all five of us)?

Many thanks!

Level Contributor
3,127 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Stay where you planned, near Waterloo. You'll be right by iconic sights like Big Ben, the London Eye and the fascinating South Bank area. It's one of the best & most interesting parts of London.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,069 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Hyde Park is a large area, not all of which is close to a tube station. By that I mean, if you're half-way down Park Lane, you've got to head one direction to get to Hyde Park Corner and another to reach Marble Arch.

Your earlier choices sound more reachable.

Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses! It looks like we might have to stay on our original course, but we would be happy to hear if anyone else has any other thoughts.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Hyde Park covers a very wide area with marked differences (Bayswater being much cheaper than south of the park around Knightsbridge, the latter being OK for Harrod's and the museums but not the former). You also have to be very careful with hotels around Bayswater IMO as there are some real dumps round there. Personally I'd say the South Bank is much better overall and the PI Waterloo especially good being a newer property, close to excellent transport and walkable to some key sites. With kids the amenties of the South bank are better too.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 18:18
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Have you been checking on Orbitz or Expedia? Although it's not the greatest in the world, Lancaster London has been available for reasonable rates on Orbitz recently. (I just stayed there for $159/night, double room.) It does have A/C like we're used to here in the US - I found out when I turned it on for some white noise. Location right at Lancaster Gate tube, along the edge of Hyde Park. It's a lovely stroll across the park to Knightsbridge. Many bus options too which often times is faster than tube.

Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

Thanks for the responses. We will check out the Lancaster London and certainly will take the advice of everyone that the South Bank might be a better bet for us. We really appreciate the help!

7. Re: Hotel Near Hyde Park -- ~170 GBP/Night in Summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16