We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Can anyone tell me which is a better and reliable tour company Evan Evans or Golden Tours, we would like an organized tour to see Leeds Castle, and also take a tour to the Cotswolds, any feed back would be helpful.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Are you aware that Leeds Castle is very easy to visit independently as a day trip from London?

Here are some details (click through for information about the shuttle bus between Bearsted Station and the Castle).

www.leeds-castle.com/Visit/Directions

I've got friends who live in Bearsted so I've regularly taken the train - it's not a long journey and you know you're in Kent when you see your first oast house.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oast_house

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Agree with Kennydon with regard to Leeds Castle but if you want to visit other places on the same day such as Dover and/or Canterbury then taking a coach tour is the only real option.

The two companies really are much of a muchness. Pick the one that offers the tour you want on the day you want.

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Thank you for the reply's I will check out going to Leeds Castle on our own.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Hi,

I haven taken my overseas friends and family on a tour with Golden Tours and I have never been disappointed. One of the reason I prefer guided tours over self guided visit is the availability of a qualified guide through out the day, which means you do not have to run around like a headless chicken finding everything you want to do. Instead let the professional guide take care of the all these worries. On most occasion I have found these guides extremely funny and animated which makes the day and trip furthermore enjoyable.

We have been to Leeds castle, Canterbury and Dover cliff and Greenwich with golden tours it was memorable day. We contemplated between these 2 companies and eventually went with golden tours as they offer the same tour including lunch as well. So you are not left looking for a place to grab lunch on packed day of sightseeing, allowing you to soak as much as you can without any hassle.

Hope this helps.

NJ
Level Contributor
52 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

Here is another opinion of Golden Tours.

We have taken them three or four times to the Cotswold's. One time, the bus got pulled over as the engine compartment was loose and flapping open. The police also sighted us for a broken rear window. The held us for over two hours. Because of this the trip was cancelled and we ended up going back to London and got 50% return on our money. The other times we fine. The main problem is that you feel rushed from one town to the next. One time we did get to see where Winston Churchill was buried near Blenham PAlace.

We took them to Dover and Canterbury one time. We thought we were getting a tour of Dover Castle, which turned out to be a tour of the WWII Hospital Tunnels and surgical rooms. Not being a hospital type person, I felt awful most of the time thinking about what had gone on. Leeds Caste was cancelled due to an "event" going on there. They gave us lunch instead, which was small piece of chicken on a bone and a little potato. When we got to Canterbury, they were closing for their afternoon service, so you really could not see it. Also, from what I recall you had to pay to go beyond a certain point inside (which was not included). We ended up eating a McDonalds as we were still hungry from lunch.

I would give Golden Tours three stars.

After that, I figured out how to get to the Cotswold's by public transit. Take the train from PAddington to Moreton-In-Marsh. Moreton has a great market on Tuesdays. There are some nice B&Bs in the area if you want to stay a night. You can then take a bus to Bourton on Water and Stow. We also did a day trip from London to Leeds Castle where they have a courtesy van that will pick you up from the train station.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

The thing about the Cotswolds is that the whole point of the Cotswolds the small villages, country lanes etc are effectively barred to the large coaches used by Evan Evans, Golden Tours etc.

You'll end up in places like Bourton and Burford and being transported between them using the main roads.

Premium Tours are the only "big bus" operator offering a whole day in the Cotswolds visiting 4 villages.

The thing to look out for are tours that cite Cotswolds in the headline but just drive through the broad Cotswolds area between Stratford and Oxford or Bath.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

I am just finishing my Leeds castle, Canterbury and Dover tour with Golden Tours. I have to say I have had a brilliant day. The tour was very well organised. Both the driver and guide very friendly.

Plenty of time in both Leeds castle and Canterbury cathedral. And lunch was very good and saved us wondering around trying to find a place.

Our tour guide was excellent and very knowledgable. I am already planning my next tour.

8. Re: Evan Evans or Golden Tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:16