We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

United States
Level Contributor
531 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

Hello! I did a search and didn't find this exact topic, so hopefully I didn't miss it here.

When we visited Paris last year we got lost a lot until we got the Paris Pratique, which (I hear) many locals use. If you're not familiar, it's in book form and small and thin, so easy to carry around.

Is there a similar map that locals use in London? If so, should I wait until I get there to buy it? Are the London streets as confusing as the Paris streets? I've never been there before, but visiting next month.

Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,256 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

I wouldn't BUY any map. I'd go to the London Transport Information Office and get a free cycling map for the part of London you are staying in! They are well detailed and much lighter than an A-Z. And if you want the location of a particular address, ask your phone.

United States
Level Contributor
531 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

What an education. Had no idea about "Zed." :)

Eclectic, thanks for the tip on Stanfords!

I looked over a London MapGuide at a B&N, but didn't buy it because all the bright colors just seemed to give me a headache. Silly, me, but I didn't like the graphic design! Maybe I'll change my mind on that.

I don't think anyone has talked about the Bensons maps. Any thoughts? I know those aren't in book form, but I noticed that Rick Steves recommended it.

I also like the idea of getting a free cycling map at London Transport.

Right now, I do have a MapEasy of London. If you're not familiar, they are maps of a sort drawn out with illustrations of the things to do. I know it's silly, but they always help me plan trips. I don't expect to use it to get around though.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,310 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

I look for a detailed enough map for the area I'm visiting, online. Then mark the important places I want to visit in one colour and others I would like in another. I write transport details between each place on the back.

Another sheet has addresses, opening times and price of entry.

This has served me well so far and easy to stuff in pocket. It works mainly if you have an itinerary otherwise if you are going to explore and wander then a more detailed map like the mini A-Zed is better.

I found the free ones from Tourist Information excellent - of course you need to know your way to the TIC in the first place ;-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

Well, if Rick Steves is recommending it......

Edited: 20 April 2014, 22:45
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

Canadians traditionally, and even now, those who haven't spent their lives watching American tv, say Zed.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

My father was Canadian and said "Zed," so I was used to that. But I did a double-take on my last visit when I heard a BBC news presenter say "haitch" for the letter "H." Afterward, I heard "haitch"for H quite a few more times in London. That seems new, and I wonder how that came about?

Edited: 21 April 2014, 04:27
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

Some of us feel like we're fighting a losing battle against "haitch". It's the Irish pronunciation and fairly prevalent here in the north-west and the Midlands and seems to be creeping in to accepted speech. Also I think it's one of those things where people are trying to be hyper-correct and have been told not to drop their aitches!

The BBC's own pronunciation advice on the matter is slightly woolly, unfortunately.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

Most people in Canada ( unless they are Americans ) say Zed....NOT Zee.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

I have a copy of the full London A-Z, but rarely take it to London with me, as it takes up too much space. What I think it's good for is locating streets you can't find on other maps, not navigating in central London. I got my A-Z in pre-internet map days when I was having trouble finding some streets outside central London (actually, it is also good for locating very small streets in central London that do not appear on other maps). You can buy it everywhere.

What I think is probably better for first-time navigation of central London is one of the standard guidebooks or perhaps the TIme Out abbreviated magazine format guide to London, which I think is still issued every year or so and is pretty easy to carry around (much lighter than their full guidebook). It has good maps of central London, an underground map, and info on major sights, restaurants, shops, etc. You can buy it all over London, and I have also seen it at Barnes & Noble in New York.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: London Book-Map Locals Use (Like Paris Pratique)

I did a survey of my class of bright 14-15 year olds. 70% used the aitch pronunciation and all but two thought it was skedule not shedule.