We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi! Fist time to visit, staying at Crowne Plaza Kensington

nashville
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hi! Fist time to visit, staying at Crowne Plaza Kensington

Hello!!!!!!!! I am traveling to London for work and bring my 74 year old mom along for the ride. Neither of us have been before...

We are staying in Kensington, at the Crown Plaza.

We get in the 26th around lunch and leave the 4th evening:

Few things I need some help on...

Are there tours (walking or otherwise) that my mom can take on the days I am in the office? Do they meet near Kensington or do we need to arrange transportation?

What are some of the must do restaurants? I understand there must be thousands but a few near or around the hotel would make the first days easier...

Any thing outside of the normal sites we should try and see?

Being that it is May should we pre-book tours and buy tickets ahead of time since it is the high-season?

I am sure I will have a bunch more...but those are some good ones to start with :)

Thank you in advance!!!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi! Fist time to visit, staying at Crowne Plaza Kensington

Have a look at the London Walks website to see if there's anything that takes your fancy. They usually depart from outside various tube stations:

www.londonwalks.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,037 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi! Fist time to visit, staying at Crowne Plaza Kensington

First thing is to look at the two traveller articles about Travelcards and the two for one offers under Top Questions about London to the right of the forums posts. If you will spend all of your time in London plus or minus a day trip or two, seven day Travelcards will be the business. The rail station nearest the Crowne Plaza Kensington is Victoria; there is no rail station at Heathrow airport (presumably your flight's destination in London). Please read the articles carefully as they contain a great deal of information that could help you with sightseeing and with travel plans.

There are a handful of restos and cafes near Gloucester Road station and along Gloucester Road itself, both in the road and tucked inside Gloucester Arcade. If there is still a branch of Garfunkel's inside the Arcade, I'd say give it a wide berth. There is also a branch of Waitrose in the Arcade should you wish to do a little self catering. Da Mario, perhaps a five minute walk north along Gloucester Road, is a solid Italian resto worth a visit,

Your mother may dislike the stairs at Gloucester Road station and as such may prefer the 49 and 74 buses. Stop GK is almost at the entrance of your hotel, with stop GV just across the road for the return journey. …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/glo… The 49 is handy to and from Kensington High Street but can be very crowded at times. If your mother fancies a visit (or several) to the V&A the 74 stops about a minute's walk from the main entrance.

3. Re: Hi! Fist time to visit, staying at Crowne Plaza Kensington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16