We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Trying to work out what time to book a table after a concert.

So my question is how long will it take to walk if we dont get lost.

Thanks in advance

Just a incase anybody is an expert on the seating plan in Royal Festival Hall

I am considering took book seats in one of the boxes is a good or bad idea?

Rudolf Steiner House
Performances, Concerts, Theatres
Lost Theatre
Concerts, Theatres
Pizza Express Live Holborn
Concerts, Dinner Theatres, Jazz Clubs & Bars, Performances
1901 Arts Club
Performances, Concerts
Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Skylon is in the Royal Festival Hall, access is on the 3rd floor.

Cannot comment on view from the boxes, normal sit in the main block. Views are pretty good no matter where you sit.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

I've had a box at the RFH twice, once for Mahler's Symphony no. 8, the other time for an evening of mixed music and speech in tribute to Seamus Heaney. On both occasions I had the box only because anywhere I would have preferred to have sat was sold out. Do you have a particular reason for wanting to sit in a box? If not, I would probably not think of the boxes as the most obvious place to choose to sit. My own experiences with the boxes has been disappointing, but I have to qualify that by saying that because I was simply looking for *any* available seat I ended up in the box on the house right furthest towards the front of the hall, i.e. actually overlooking the choir. Now, the one thing that everyone knows about the RFH is that the sound quality (and view) from the choir is not good. Being in a box looking down on the choir isn't the same as being in the choir, but it was definitely not the best seat I've ever had there (and I've sat everywhere in the RFH from the front of the front stalls to the back of the rear stalls, side stalls, choir, balcony, and boxes). It could well be--in fact it almost certainly is--the case that if you can get the boxes that are the furthest from the stage you will enjoy better sound quality and a better view (I've never been in the Goodman Box, aka the Royal Box, but it doesn't look that good as it is recessed into the side of the hall rather than projecting like the other boxes, presumably so that it's easier to see who's in it). So in summary: if you really want a box and can get one that is far enough from the stage to give you a good balance of sound and a nice overview of the stage, go for it, or if you are happy not to have a box there are also seats just as good, if not better, elsewhere in the hall. The front row of the balcony dead centre is reckoned to be the best spot in the hall, but I'm far from expert enough to know if that is the case. I am very happy sitting in the centre of the front stalls. The Southbank Centre will be happy to point out to you what they consider to be the "premium seats", which are the most expensive ones, and have been chosen by their experts as the best in the house. What are you thinking of going to?

As for getting to Skylon, it's a matter of seconds/minutes, depending where in the hall you are walking from. The only thing to bear in mind is that the projected finish time of concerts is usually more or less inaccurate, as they cannot account for errors in timings of works performed, length of applause, encores, and late running by audience and/or performers.

Essex
Level Contributor
30,093 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Actually the Royal Box is most likely recessed so that there are fewer angles for people to shoot at the occupants, so to make them less vulnerable/visible, not more.....

Essex
Level Contributor
30,093 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Oh, but if you let them know at Skylon that you are attending a performance, and which one, then I am sure they will be used to the vagiaries of "running times" and that if your programme is overlong, they will be ready for you....

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Thank you very much

We are planning to see the April fools day concert, and the boxes just seem to be the best seats left but will have a look after your advice.

Now I just have to decide to book in the Skylon or the Skylon Grill.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

I've been to that event in a previous year, and from what I remember I think that there is a certain visual element, so make sure that you have a good view. I see that there are some good box seats left. Unsurprisingly, there are only two single seats left for the central block of the front stalls. Row AA of the rear stalls has gone, apart from spaces for wheelchairs, but I suspect that this is because people don't realise until they get there that row AA has a poor view, because it is on an aisle, whereas row BB behind has a much clearer view because it is more elevated, and still has central seats left. However, the hall is not so wide that it would really make much of a difference how centrally you sit. I very often sit in the side stalls, and the view from there is perfectly good, if you are far enough back from the stage, even though it's not central. In general, if you look at the seating plan and see what has sold that is a guide to which seats are the most desirable. For an expert opinion, you could phone/email the Southbank Centre box office, and the staff there should have good knowledge of the venue. Looking at some photos of the hall may also help:

classicalmusicmagazine.org/wp-content/upload…

(The seats right behind the brass rail in this photo are rear stalls row BB. Row AA is on the other side of the rail behind the front stalls.)

…telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00636/ne…

zeigermann.com/cartoonist/…L1000830.jpg

(This picture shows the blue side boxes.)

southbankcentre.co.uk/sites/default/files/im…

(A good view of the green side boxes. The Goodman Box on the seating plan is the large box with the royal coat of arms above it.)

By the way, that is an interesting explanation for the design of the RFH's royal box. In most older theatres the royal box is probably the most vulnerable, so maybe security concerns had begun to be taken into consideration by the time that the RFH was designed.

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

Thank you very much tickets booked on everybodys advice.

@ jonathanquinn

In my opion you are an expert. :-)

I noticed you are from London, will you be attending the TALF meet if so we will have one me.

8. Re: Royal Festival Hall to Skylon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:15