We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

Delaware
Level Contributor
403 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

I guess this would be a question for any forum. What happens if you book a hotel for an 8 night stay, you get there and after giving it a one night try, you absolutely hate it? It could be that the room is way too small or just not clean or smells bad. Can you cancel and go elsewhere? Does it depend on the type of reservation you make? Sorry if this is a silly question, but it is a big concern.

California
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

I don't know, I've never needed to leave a hotel mid-trip. Every hotel is different, you need to ask the one you are booking with. The first thing I would do if there was a problem with the room is ask to be moved to a different one. If that wasn't satisfactory, I would think you need to give them at least 48 hours notice if you are going to leave early so they can re-book the room. Are you really that worried about the hotel you choose not being good enough once you get there? There are plenty of online resources to help you choose.

Delaware
Level Contributor
403 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

I think that is my problem. This is my first trip abroad in many years and I so want it to be wonderful. I am overthinking everything...and over-researching. Instead of reading all the good reviews for a hotel, I focus on the bad ones. I know I want to be in Bloomsbury, but there are so many hotels, it is hard to decide.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

We may have covered some of this in your previous posts, but can you provide your arrival date and nightly budget in GBP/£?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

I took a glance at the Terms & Conditions of a couple of hotel groups. The Guoman only talked about cancellation, not early departure. However, I believe a hotel of their price point would try to get you into a better room. Premier Inn and Travelodge both address early departure and allow it on certain types of bookings but not the super-cheap ones.

I think it is best not to read the worst reviews for a place you might actually stay! They can be quite entertaining for other places. Look at the overall pattern of reviews - are they mostly five or four circles on Tripadvisor? If there is something you really need/don't want, look for that and don't get distracted by other reviewer's idiosyncrasies.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

Unless you have a substantial budget, realize that hotels in London will likely be smaller and more expensive than you may be accustomed to in America. With such a vibrant and interesting city as London, consider your hotel as just a crash pad. A good night's sleep and a quick shower and then off you go to explore London. Even if part of such exploration involves just grabbing sandwiches for a lunch in a park. Don't try to do too much and miss the simple pleasures of London. Tea and cake in the middle of the afternoon should always be a consideration. Nothing wrong with a pint or two at lunch. Walk along the South Bank at your own pace. Find a small farmers' market, used book store, art gallery, etc. or wander aimlessly for an hour or two. Stay positive, be spontaneous and do not pre-suppose that bad things will happen. Fight the enemy, not the plan.

California
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

Don't go in to "analysis paralysis" or you'll wait so long you won't get the hotel you want. Take reviews with a grain of salt, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. There are plenty of recommendations for consistent, quality, clean hotels. Room size however isn't the same as in the US so please don't expect lots of room to spread out. Unless you want to spend a little more money for a big hotel chain (like Hilton) you will have to compromise on room size.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

<<If that wasn't satisfactory, I would think you need to give them at least 48 hours notice if you are going to leave early so they can re-book the room.>>

Travelodge and Premier Inn both said that IF you had the kind of booking where you could leave early, you only had to tell them by noon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

AnnDelaware, having just stalked you on your other thread, I can see than with your interests you are going to have a great trip, really!

As mentioned, rooms are small - I would say think NYC but I see you stayed in the Grand Hyatt - so look for whatever makes it big enough for you. Does that mean enough floor space to do your yoga, or an armchair so you don't have to perch on the bed? Shower, bathtub or indifferent? Duvet or blankets?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

Stay in the best place you can afford and tell yourself it's the best you could pick on your budget. The reviews will never be perfect for any hotel but if the majority are positive then that's a good sign.

Don't get too hung up, I've stayed in some dives and some luxury hotels and never once have I thought about the accommodation when I got back but instead remembered all the lovely sights and sounds of my trip.

Choose a price, pick a hotel and tell yourself you're not moving in, just staying for x amount of days and moving on.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bloomsbury area hotel for 8 nights - a question

Does it depend on the type of reservation you make?

======

Yes.