We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

USA
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

Could someone please kindly let me know which public transport option to take from LHR to the Apex City of London Hotel? And also, on the return, which would be the best public transit route to go from the hotel to Gatwick? Thanks!!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

From LHR get the Piccadilly line, change at Hammersmith for the easy cross platform change to the District line to Tower Hill. The hotel is about 5 minutes' walk from the tube station (across Trinity Square).

For Gatwick it may depend what time/time of day but you can get the RV1 bus to London Bridge and the FCC train to Gatwick or the tube from Tower Hill to Kings Cross and FCC train from there. You can also get the FCC train from City Thameslink for which you can get a cab or the 15 bus from Tower Hill.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

USA
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

Thanks so much Parklandwalk! I appreciate it. If it helps, I'll be leaving for Gatwick in time for a 20:30 departure flight on Easter Sunday.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 18:38
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

On which dates will you be traveling, and at what time do your flights arrive at LHR and depart LGW, as there may be planned engineering works on the line(s)?

The nearest tube station is Tower Hill, which has stairs up from the platform (a total of 47; 15 then 10 then 12). If you're okay with those then from Heathrow take the tube's Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, where you make an easy cross platform change to the District line to Tower Hill.

For Apex to Gatwick, it does matter which day/date you're traveling. I'd take one of two options depending on which trains are running. Option 1 - Take the RV1 Bus from stop TD in The Minories ( …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/tow… ) to London Bridge, and then take the First Capital Connect train to Gatwick. Option 2 - would be to take the District and Circle line train from Tower Hill to Blackfriars, where you would pick up the same FCC train to Gatwick.Option 1 is definitely the easiest, however sometimes the FCC train doesn't call at London Bridge.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

" I'll be leaving for Gatwick in time for a 20:30 departure flight on Easter Sunday."

In that case, my "option 1" (RV1 to London Bridge, etc) won't work, as the FCC trains won't be calling at London Bridge that day. Also, City Thameslink is closed on Sundays.

So, I would use my "option 2", District or Circle line to Blackfriars and the FCC from there. The D&C lines are running along that section as scheduled on April 20th.

edit: re #1, going all the way to Kings Cross St. Pancras and then FCC is a huge roundabout way. Definitely not worth with when you have Blackfriars, and even Farringdon as places to switch to the FCC.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 18:45
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

OK well as it's Easter Sunday you can get the FCC train although should check the timetable nearer the time from St Pancras or Blackfriars but not London Bridge or City Thameslink. I would probably hop in a cab if you have luggage or get the Circle line from Tower Hill (to Kings Cross if going from St Pancras).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

PW - Sorry, but why on earth would you want to go all the way out to St. Pancras for this? That's 6 stops on the tube in completely the wrong direction, plus you have to walk almost the entire length of St. Pancras railway station to reach the FCC platforms. And then you take a train that comes all the way back and calls at Blackfriars (10 minutes later) anyway.

The D&C line to Blackfriars is 4 stops, and the National Rail platforms are just two short escalators up with about a minute's (max) walking.

The FCC trains from Blackfriars will be running four times an hour (04, 21, 34 and 51) and the journey to Gatwick will take 50 minutes. - …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…outwardJump

USA
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

Thanks for all the useful feedback!! I really appreciate it. I'll be arriving Saturday, Apr 19th, at about 10:00 in the morning. Again, thank you so much!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

BocosTravels,

You shouldn't have any trouble reaching Tower Hill from Gatwick on the Saturday 19th, as there are no planned engineering works on the relevant sections of the Piccadilly or District lines.

USA
Level Contributor
713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

Thanks again for everyone's input. Just to clarify, I'm flying into LHR and flying out of Gatwick. I know it's confusing, I should've been more clear.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport to/from Apex City Hotel

D'oh! My fault. I meant to say Heathrow on 19th. The Piccadilly line and District line are both running as scheduled on 19th (on the sections you'd need).