We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative 7-day itinerary for family of 4 - views welcomed!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
46 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative 7-day itinerary for family of 4 - views welcomed!

I have drafted the following tentative itinerary for our week in London. We are travelling in early July, and have a 10 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. Their input is reflected in the itinerary below – you can probably guess their choices!

Thursday, July 3: Arrive 3:00 p.m. St. Pancras. Buy 7 day Zone 1-2 paper travelcards for all 4 of us (although my son would travel free, we think the 2 for 1 offers make it worthwhile to purchase a travel card for him). Taxi to apartment (near Angel Tube). Settle in at apartment. Dinner in Islington, pick up supplies. Evening - ???

Friday, July 4: London Walks (Secrets of Westminster Abbey) @ 10:45 a.m. Lunch. Hint Hunt (son’s choice) around 4:00 p.m. Evening - ???

Saturday, July 5: 9:00 a.m. Tower of London (2 for 1). Lunch. Museum of London in the afternoon. Evening - ???

Sunday, July 6: 9:30 a.m. Madame Tussauds (2 for 1). Early lunch (I don’t expect we will spend more than 2 hours at Madame Tussaud’s – please correct me if I am wrong). At 2:00 p.m. we will do another London Walks (Ancient London). Sunday dinner at 6:00 p.m. in Islington.

Monday, July 7: Daytrip to Manchester.

Tuesday, July 8: 10:00 a.m. London Eye (2 for 1) – assuming weather is decent. Following that, we split up and one of us takes our son to the London Dungeon (2 for 1) and the other takes my daughter to afternoon tea at 3:00 p.m. (already booked). I am looking for an activity for my daughter from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – we need to be near Kensington Palace for 3:00 p.m. so maybe a visit to Hyde Park and/or Kensington Palace..? My son will likely visit Hyde Park or the Museum of Natural History. No evening plans as of yet.

Wednesday, July 9: Trip to Windsor Castle. We plan on being there for around 9:00 a.m. I know they open at 9:45 a.m. but I am hoping to avoid long lines if we get there in advance.

Thursday, July 10: Depart for Edinburgh (around 11:00 a.m.)

I thought about including a HOHO bus, but I find them very expensive. I understand there are a couple of bus routes (11 and 25 I think?) that cover many of the major attractions (Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Parliament etc.). I’m wondering if this would be a good post-dinner activity...? As you will see, I don’t really have much planned for the evenings, so I am particularly looking for suggestions for this time slot. The children are usually in bed by 9:00 – 9:30 p.m. as we like to get an early start in the mornings.

I have tried to group attractions in a logical way (where possible) but if anything looks glaringly wrong, please let me know. I am trying to cover 2 or 3 attractions a day – hoping that is reasonable. I don’t want to be dragging cranky kids from place to place :)

Many, many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Islington Inn
Islington Inn
92 Reviews
London, UK
London Walks
London Walks
1,705 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,032 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
53,501 Reviews
London, UK
Museum of London
Museum of London
5,085 Reviews
London, UK
Madame Tussauds London
Madame Tussauds London
26,612 Reviews
London, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Coca-Cola London Eye
Coca-Cola London Eye
71,629 Reviews
London, UK
The London Dungeon
The London Dungeon
8,939 Reviews
London, UK
Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace
4,417 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,294 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle
10,351 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
30,178 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,224 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tentative 7-day itinerary for family of 4 - views welcomed!

Er, yes.the 'advice' on the visitor Oystercard is dangerously wrong.

And for a party of 4 you would almost certainly be better off considering the 2for1's which require paper travelcards. See the article under top questions to the right.

brownie_CE
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tentative 7-day itinerary for family of 4 - views welcomed!

Yes apologies, I take my comment back on the visitor oyster, normal oyster or travel cards is better

13. Re: Tentative 7-day itinerary for family of 4 - views welcomed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15