We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Hi advisors,

We will be arriving at the Stansted airport and I understand that not all stations sell the 2-4-1 travel card. Does anyone know which station We can purchase the travel card?

I understand that I will be taking the Stansted Express to the London Liverpool St, then the underground transportation from Liverpool to Holborn, then change to Piccadilly to get to our hotel. Would I be able to buy the travel card at the station where I'm boarding the Stansted express near the airport?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,472 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

You can get paper travelcards at Liverpool Street( not Liverpool, btw. We dont truncate names). Where is your hotel?

Edited: 10 April 2014, 19:36
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

You can buy them at Stansted, but I would buy them at Liverpool Street, as it is in London and the ticket clerks understand the travelcard better. You'd buy them from this ticket office on the railway station concourse, not the tube station - nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…o2421-0000108.jpg

That said, how will you be leaving London? Are you taking the train back to Stansted to fly out? If so there's another way to get 2-4-1 with just your inbound and return/onward rail tickets.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 21:01
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Get a return ticket at Stansted - sorted.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

"Get a return ticket at Stansted - sorted."

Only if they're heading back to Stansted.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

We are leaving London by departing at Heathrow.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Buy the paper Travelcards at Liverpool Street station. The National Rail ticket office is in the main concourse almost directly across from the platforms for the StanEX.

'... then the underground transportation from Liverpool to Holborn, then change to Piccadilly to get to our hotel.' The *Liverpool* matter has been dealt with above. There are stairs at Liverpool Street station from the rail concourse down to the Central line platforms and the change at Holborn is a pain in the neck with baggage in tow. Please let us know the hotel you've booked as there may be an easier option than this. Let us know the date you will arrive in London as well if at the weekend then planned works on the Underground may have to be considered for your journey from rail station to hotel.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

We will arrive on April 13 (in a couple days) and staying at the Marriott Kensington.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

You could just get the Circle line all the way from Liverpool Street to Gloucester Road.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Is the circle line covered in the travel card?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at Stansted airport, where to buy 2-4-1 travel card

Paddington and all stations on the circular loop of the Circle Line are within Zone 1, and those on the Hammersmith 'tail' are in Zone 2, so they will be included in a Zone 1+2 travel card. Travel cards and tickets operate by Zones, not individual lines. The zones are shown on the standard tube map.