We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from London to Winchester

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets from London to Winchester

Hello again!

I'm meeting a friend in Winchester on May 10th and I would like to know if it will be cheaper to purchase the train tickets in advance or if they will cost the same bought the day of the trip.

Thanks in advance for your help.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

No advantage in buying earlier - I've just checked and the cheapest ticket available is an Off-Peak return at £33.50.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 20:48
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

@darrenmcc

Thnaks, I saw that too but my question is:

Are the tickets going to cost the same that day or should I buy them now because the cheapest tickets sell out?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

Those tickets don't have a limit, buy on the day. If your friend could pick you up from Southampton then megatrain currently look like £1.00 lon -> sou and £10.00 Sou -> LON ON May 10th. You cannot get off the train at Winchester using these tickets even though the train stops there

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

Sari,

There is no advantage to buying in advance on that route. There are no cheap advance fares (not on MegaTrain either). £33.50 is the standard off peak return fare from Waterloo to Winchester.

However, if you buy a one day travelcard for that day (£8.90), and then show that travelcard to the ticket clerk and ask for a day return from the edge of zone 6 to Winchester the fare will be £24.50, for a total of £33.40. That will actually save you money, as in addition to being 10p cheaper, it will give you all the public transport within London for that day, including tube and/or bus rides from your hotel to Waterloo.

If by any chance you have a seven day travelcard for zones 1-2, show that to the ticket clerk and ask for a day return from the zone 6 boundary, and the fare would be £27.80.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

Oh just to be clear:

- off peak day return: buy on day

- megatrain: you must buy in advance

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

slight correction to my post #4 -

If you have a seven day travelcard for z1-2 you would ask for a ticket from the edge of zone 2 (TWO), not 6, for the £27.80 fare.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

There are cheap £6 fares available on MegaTrain from Waterloo - Southampton on May 10 - they don't offer trains to Winchester even though the trains stop there uk.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx…

BUT the T&C mean you must travel all the way to Southampton - you can not get on/off at Winchester or you could be charged for a full price ticket, you would need to get another ticket back to Winchester (£6.70 return)

You may not think the saving worth the extra time and hassle unless you arranged to meet your friend in Southampton instead.

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

Thanks for your replies @Infidellic @USBusinessTraveller and @Mymsman =)

I don't want to depend on my friend or bother her with picking me up. I will check the MegaTrain fares and schedule to/from Southampton though. The saving sounds good enough to give it a try.

If the MegaTrain option doesn't work, it's good to know that I can buy return tickets that day and they won't cost more than they would cost today.

I will have a 7-day travelcard loaded in my Oyster card. Can I use it and pay the difference or it's just for paper travelcards?

Thank you again for your help.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

"I will have a 7-day travelcard loaded in my Oyster card. Can I use it and pay the difference or it's just for paper travelcards?"

Yes. Hand your Oyster card to the ticket clerk, and they will scan it to verify that you have a travelcard loaded.

I just checked the Megatrain site, and while there are some cheap fares available they aren't IMO that great (unless you want to take the 5.30am train to Southampton for £1). The only £6 fares on the outbound are the 1339 and 2139, which probably aren't what you had in mind, There are some £10 outbound fares and £6 on the return (plus 50p booking fee), but then add in the SOU-WIN return and you're at £23.20. And don't forget that Megatrain fares are one way, and restricted to the specific train (miss it and you lose the ticket).

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets from London to Winchester

@USBusinessTraveller

I need to be in Winchester at 10.30 so I would have to take the 5.30 AM train. It would be extremely cheap but I will be on vacation and I don't want to get up at 3.30 AM. The travelcard will save me almost £5.00 which is great. Thank you so much for that tip!