We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube fares

NW Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tube fares

I realize this has been covered, over and over, but call me stupid, I'm still in the dark as to what we need, photos, etc.

We are flying in to Heathrow June one, two seniors, one adult, one 18year old, and one 13 year old. Five in all. We'll be in London a week. What do we get at heathrow, we don't care about the 2 for 1 deals. We just want tube tickets at the most economical rate. It is so confusing between travelcards, oystercards, and whether we need photos or not. I'd really appreciate any info. Thanks much.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube fares

For the adults, Oyster cards each loaded with 7 day travelcards for zones 1/2 plus some cash for out of zone travel - say £10. You can easily top up and/or get any excess refunded. No photo.

For the 13YO one day child travelcards are going to be the easiest option. No photo.

<<we don't care about the 2 for 1 deals>> depends on what you are going to do, but generally that's another way of saying you don't care about the most economical rate

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,413 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube fares

Can you buy one day child travelcards at Heathrow? I would think since it's a TFL station they'd have to buy him/her an adult Oystercard. I've never tried though.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube fares

All Tube station ticket offices (and machines) sell one day Travelcards for adults and children. The off peak cost of a one day Child rate card - good for travel in zones 1 to 6, so may be used to travel from Heathrow to central London - is £3.60.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube fares

Not necessarily, dzug1 - may just mean to OP is wisely going to avoid all paid for "attractions" - exactly what I do!

5. Re: Tube fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16