We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Deltona, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Greetings fellow travellers,

I'm planning a holiday in the autumn to the UK and I was hoping to get some information about the Chislehurst Caves. I would love to take a day trip there, but is this possible for a tourist while visiting London? I'm staying in Kensington but want to get out of the city. Mind you, I'm not renting a vehicle as I'm planning to use public transport only. I.E. the Tube and buses.

Is there a tube/bus that takes me there? All those little questions. :))

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

There are directions on their website. You take a train (from Charing Cross or London Bridge) and then you can walk from there. I've got it on my to do list but haven't made it there yet. I think it's zone 5 so you could use PAYG on Oyster to get there. (Or a travelcard that includes zone 5.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

It is very easy to visit the caves using public transport.

Have a look at

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4067083,0.057345,17z

and you can see that the caves are close to Chislehurst railway station, so you can take the train (not the tube) there from Charing Cross, Waterloo East or London Bridge.

If staying in Kensington the easiest way would be to take the District or Circle line of the tube to Embankment, and then walk the short distance to Charing Cross station.

Have a look at the website

http://www.chislehurst-caves.co.uk/

Deltona, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Wow, thank you both for the swift responses!

I am currently fleshing out my itinerary so I sorely appreciate all the information. I've learned that it's one thing to want to do something and another to actually begin planning. It's good to know that it is within reach of a non-vehicle renting tourist.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Hi MsLadyJennifer

As a child I lived about a 30 minute cycle ride from the caves and went several times. I am curious as to why you have chosen Chislehurst Caves to visit out of all the tourist sites around London.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Bob

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

And we used to go to our local chalk caves at West Wycombe Village, just on the western edge of High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire (trains from Marylebone take just over 30 minutes, then a bus or taxi out to West Wycombe). West Wycombe is a National Trust village and is very beautiful and photogenic, the church with the golden ball is a short walk up the hill. I am not sure whether Dashwood House or its grounds is ever open to the public, but you could have a google. Beautiful Buckinghamshire Chilterns countryside within easy access of London (not sure High Wycombe could be described thus, no offence to those who live there, but it is a town in its own right which is not London and is famed for its traditional furniture industry in the days before mass produced pieces were mainly imported or bought directly from that big Swedish warehouse!).

http://www.hellfirecaves.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Easy to get there. But not worth it in my opinion.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,979 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

We have seen Chislehurst Caves

. It is more about how English people organized huge bomb shelter during WWII. Tells a lot about British.

It is not a day trip definitelly. The tour leaves every hour or so, it takes about an hour to see the place. Tour guide (we had) was very good.

If you are determined you want to go there, then combine it with some place not far. Eltham palace is nice.

If you go, dont forget to take a coat to keep you warm( it is 8 or 10 degrees down there all year around)

God, I cant believe I am consulting people about London!

Yuri

Deltona, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Bob,

I do not mind at all! I do apologise about my delayed response but I've been working hard on planning. :-P Simply put, I am fascinated by the caves and what it meant to a Wartime generation. I've always been a lover of history, and even though the more cliche tourist sites may be just as enjoyable to visit, it's important at least for myself, to appreciate the abundant heritage of Britain and visit a location (one of many), that is 'off the main path.' :)

Edited: 20 June 2014, 00:02
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,979 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

Then go and see the caves. Don't forget to take something warm to wear with you. It's 8 or 10 degrees downthere. If you are looking for a nice place to visit , to fill the day. Eltham palace is not far from there and it's lovely.

Yuri.

london
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chislehurst Caves: day trip?

I took my kids to Chislehurst Caves years ago when they were little ... very easy to get to if you follow the directions you've already been given ... it's a quirky low-key destination and, yes, I guess you could describe it as very British (assuming it's not changed much in all these years), they enjoyed it but were a bit under-whelmed and were too young to really appreciate the wartime use as a bomb shelter ... the other place I took them to which turned out to be a big hit for them was Bekonscot Model Village http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/ which is also very "British" in a different way