We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

If you fancy a quick getaway to a place where you're sure to feel like a foreigner, but not a stranger why not jump in the car, point it west and drive the couple of hours along the M4 to Swansea in Wales, the land of song.

It started last night with Katherin Jenkins giving it her all and goes on all week. It is a festival of Welsh culture, but no-one need be left out, with the translation service on hand and a welsh learners tent too.

There are the usual festival type opportunities to buy goodies of all descriptions and the chance to see some of the best up and coming performers, albeit in another language.

Welsh is not as difficult to understand as you might think, so why not have some fun and give it a try - of course everyone is going to speak english too, but having a go is what makes it fun!

Can't miss the pink pavilion on the side of the M4 motorway. Here's a couple of handy links from BBC and the official website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5246166.stm

http://www.eisteddfod.org.uk/index.php?lang=EN;navId=166

Hwyl Fawr!

Have fun!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,256 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

I almost forgot to mention - Its the annual Eisteddfod of course.

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

If I was in London ... and if I had a car ... and if I had a drivers license ... that would be a great idea!

Is there a way to get there without a car? Not for me, but for folks that might be in London now without the car/license?

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

<< If you fancy a quick getaway to a place where you're sure to feel like a foreigner >>

Go to Brick Lane in London. ;-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Thanks, Purpleceltic for re-instating your original picture. I had grown weary of the caber tosser.

Some people do not admit to watching Big Brother. But it's interesting how it has brought the Welsh language back into the public consciousness with its two native Welsh speakers (one more flawless than the other, linguistically at any rate) and its 'university' style examination in Welsh. Irrespective of this, the Eisteddfod will no doubt be the rip-roaring success it always is.

Big Brother also, through Pete, done a huge amount for the acceptance of people with Tourette's Syndrome and perhaps certain airlines will be slower, in future, to prevent people with the syndrome from flying on the basis that "you will upset the other passengers", an excuse offered by Aer Lingus when they refused to fly a Tourette's sufferer to Dublin to participate in the Kenny Live show. Any show, even if it is permeated with showbiz-style chicanery, which can help the public to understand disability has to be worthwhile.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Well well well!

I am just seeing this post as we're about to leave for the Eisteddfod this afternoon.

I'll post a trip report on my return!

In the meantime perhaps you folks can do a bit of digging and find the names of any English cities which have hosted the National Eisteddfod (yes, there has been at least one).....

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Look forward to reading your trip report Jim. Sounds like a fun time will be had!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Hey Jim, you may encounter my aunt and uncle who will no doubt be there every single day, especially on expats day, being refugees of the welsh chapel in manhattan!

Don't overdo the welshcakes. Yes the place is easily accessible by public transport, either by bus from London or whereever, or by train into swansea, then a quick hop back out again - I included the official website link that has all the directions and travel options if needed.

Have fun Jim!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Jim,

The Eisteddfod in England

1879 - Birkenhead

1884 - Liverpool

1887 - London

1900 - Liverpool

1909 - London

1917 - Birkenhead

1929 - Liverpool

2007 - Liverpool?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

So Purpleceltic, who IS the woman in the avatar?

I liked the caber tosser. Keep him handy, OK?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short break in an exotic land on your doorstep - Eisteddfod!

Can't tell you who the pic is - sorry to dissapoint Britfan.

I'm keeping the hunk on file in case of emergencies!