We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

I will be leaving from Canary Wharf and I need to reach Heath row Terminal 3 to catch a flight at 7.30am to Prague.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is what I found using Tube journey planner:

Depart 5.29AM

17 mins Jubilee line to Baker Street Underground Station

4 mins Bakerloo line to Paddington Underground Station

8 mins Walk to Paddington Rail Station

15 mins Heathrow Express to Heathrow Airport Terminals 1-3 Rail Station

Arrive 6.25AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be taking British airways and this is what I found:

Important information:

You must pass through check-in no later than 45 minutes before your flight.

You must have entered Security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.

You must be at your boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your flight departs.

If you do not meet these times, you will not be allowed on to your flight.

So if I do online check in, and only a hand carry bag, do I still need to 'check-in' 45 mins before my flight at 7.30am ? Boarding pass will only be issued when i 'check-in' with them physically at the airport ? (I'm holding a foreign passport)

Is it too risky if i do this route ? What are the other possible ways ?

Edited: 13 April 2014, 03:36
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

The TfL journey planner always defaults to the HEX, but instead of travelling across London to Paddington you may prefer to spend a little more for a car service that will take you door to door.

'So if I do online check in, and only a hand carry bag, do I still need to 'check-in' 45 mins before my flight at 7.30am ?' Absolutely. You should plan to be physically inside LHR T3 no later than 0615 for a flight departing at 0730. Security queues could be lengthy at that hour, and if you fail conformance (entering Security no later than 35 minutes before scheduled flight departure) you will automatically be offloaded.

I think that BA's flights to PRG depart from remote stands at T3, which means a bus ride from the terminal building. Those gates are a bit of a walk from the main body of T3, the bus ride can take about five minutes to the stand, and ground agents will close the gate's desk at about 0715 if all pax have boarded the gate's buses.

Let us know the date you will travel and your start point in Canary Wharf.

England
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

I stayed at a nearby hotel (think it was an ibis hotel) for £30. Might be worth it to avoid the worry. I wouldnt risk that late tube. What if it was slightly delayed? From the hotel they had a free shuttle or a cheap, quick taxi. I got a better night sleep too as I didn't have the worry of getting there on time. I was so close by.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

I also wouldn't risk traveling from Canary Wharf or anywhere that east on the first services of the morning with a 7.30am departure. What if there were a signal failure on any of the lines?

I'd either opt for a car service or switch to a hotel closer to Heathrow for the night before.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 06:21
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

If you check in online, you won't be doing a second check in at the airport. If you have a mobile phone, use the mobile boarding pass, no need to print anything.

It might be so that the mornings are quieter but I always reserve at least 1h for Heathrow security (it's horrible in comparison to any other European airport I've ever been) and 1h to get to the gates (T3= very long distances), can't understand how somebody could make it in total of 35 minutes! Although BA seems to use gate 24 (bus + remote stand) for many of its flights from T3 and it's relatively close.

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

Hey guys !

Thanks for your reply ! I think it's risky too.

I have decided to take Easyjet (for the same price though) but timing is better at 8.55am !

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

You do realise it's going from a different airport, right ?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,875 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

"I have decided to take Easyjet (for the same price though) but timing is better at 8.55am !"

Which ....

1. As Joe says you'd be flying from a different airport. EasyJet don't fly from Heathrow. So which airport are you flying from now? You may be no better off.

2. EasyJet is not a full service airline. So you'd better check their T+Cs, as you could be encountering additional fees (the obvious one is checked bags) that you wouldn't have had on BA.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

It will be Gatwick from the flight timing - a very easy journey. Jubilee Line to London Bridge the FCC train to Gatwck. 40 to 45 minutes journey time.

Or often a few minutes quicker but more to go wrong - Overground to New Cross Gate then a mixture of Southern/Overground/FCC via East Croydon to Gatwick. Also cheaper - avoids zone 1

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

Yup the flight is at 8.55am @ gatwick.

I will leave my hotel at 6am so that I can reach by 7am.

10. Re: Morning flight at Heathrow Terminal 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:15