We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

My wife and I will be in London in Aug 2014, and on 6 Aug 2014 we plan to take a train to Edinburgh to continue our holiday in Scotland.

I checked this web site http://www.thetrainline.com/ for tickets, and found that it costs us £251.60 for two people to travel from London King's Cross station to Edinburgh's Waverley station at 10am on 6 Aug 2014. On the web site, it is stated that cheaper advance tickets will be available 12 weeks before the travel date.

At http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/, tickets are only available for travel dates which are not later than 12 weeks from today.

So should we wait until 12 weeks before 6 Aug 2014 before I book our tickets?

Is the a web site where I can buy tickets for any train company?

Thanks in advance.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

I'm pretty sure at 10am it will be the Mid-morning menu. I don't think the All Day one starts until 11am. If you download the PDF timetable from East Coast's website it will show what is available when, and the menu rotations are available on the website in the First Class section.

I always travel FC when I travel with EC now, which isn't very often; and for a journey of that length I'd seriously consider it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

I should add that the menus are due to change at the end of the month, so we don't know yet what will be available in August.

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Hi Bungle73,

We are not interested in having breakfast on the train as we will have it earlier in the morning. If we take the 10 am train, it will arrive at Edinburgh about 2.30pm. I am thinking of having lunch on the train, say around 12pm to 1pm. Is the first class complimentary food and drink served at a specific time only, or we can have it as and when we feel like it?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

frankly the food is just ok -I got a chicken pie with a few chips last time -my husband saw what it looked like and had the offered sandwiches instead

its not even as good as airplane food !

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

It's offered at set times. They usually come round with tea and coffee after every station, unless the train is nearing its destination. For your trip they usually come round with food, offering sandwhiches and sacks, and asking if you'd like anything from the menu, shortly after the coffee run which takes place as soon as the train leaves King's Cross. As I said, I think that will be the Mid-morning menu. They *might* come round later and offer you crisps or another snack, but I think it depends on how many passengers there are. The EC FC offering can be variable. There is a really, really long thread about it over at the RailUK forums.

I can't check the timetable ATM, as I'm on my phone, to see what's on offer when, but I'm pretty sure if you board at King's Cross your offering will be whatever menu is in force at that time, ie the Mid-morning one.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Tbh I thought the pie and chips was one of the best things they did, because it was nice, and it was filling. I'd say the food was a step above airline food. Not exactly "gourmet" but very nice.

Btw with a FC ticket you also get access to the FC lounges which are comfortable, quiet places to wait and offer complimentary hot drinks, snacks, newspapers and magazines, and the King's Cross one usually has a TV showing BBC News. If you are on an Advance ticket you must pay a £5 fee for access though.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Just had a look, and the 10am train is serving the All Day Menu. Here are the current rotations, but as I said these finish at the end of the month: eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/…

I'm sure All Day and the alcohol used to be after 11am; seems they've changed it.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 16:53
Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Hi Bungle73,

I think we will take the 11am train instead. Looking at the timetable, it looks like the All Day will be offered for this time. There are a few times which are shaded yellow for All Day: 11am, 12.53pm, 1.21pm and 1.52pm. Does this means we can pick any of these four specific times to have our meals?

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

Hi Bungle73,

I think we will take the 11am train instead. Looking at the timetable, it looks like the All Day will be offered for this time. There are a few times which are shaded yellow for All Day: 11am, 12.53pm, 1.21pm and 1.52pm. Does this means we can pick any of these four specific times to have our meals?

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Train Tickets from London to Edinburgh

You are served at your seat. No set times. It depends when the catering crew comes to your seat. For drinks and snacks they will come round several times. If you want hot food later in the journey ask them.