We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London transportation Estimate?

colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
London transportation Estimate?

Hello all, I will be in London May 16 thru 19. I fly in and out of Heathrow and I am staying at the Premier Inn-Blackfriars. i am trying to guestimate about how much I should budget for transportation costs on the tube, train, bus etc. I want to do a combination of Oyster or Travelcards for the trip. Is it better to pay as go on oyster or purchase daily travel cards? I believe that I had read on here that I can have the travelcards put on the oyster card. I arrive on the 16th at 10am. I leave on the 19th at 7pm.

Thanks for any help with this.

brownie_CE
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London transportation Estimate?

Hi,

Have you see the transport for london website? It is pretty handy for looking up journey options and times. Also notched on there they sat you can get a visitors oyster which is cheaper than day travel cards but you must buy it outside of london, here s the link

tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/…

They have really upped the price of non oyster single tickets here so I would have thought oyster was the way forward.

Also just so you know you can get into town from heathrow by either using the tube or the heathrow express, the tube takes longer but is signif cheaper.really depends on how much luggage you have as not all tube stations have lifts. Again you can see this on the transport for london website.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London transportation Estimate?

You really don't need to get an Oyster card, you can just pick up a daily travel card at any station.

Zone 1-6 (includes Heathrow) £8.90 off peak.

Anything longer than 4 days you would have benefited from the weekly travelcard.

On the 19th if you are only going to the airport just purchase a single ticket at the underground station £3 offpeak. (after 9:30) £5 before.

Total will be £29.70 (All offpeak)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London transportation Estimate?

Do not buy the Visitors Oyster. There is a £3 non refundable charge to it, and the difference for the 3 day's you will be using it is 40p per full day.

London
Level Contributor
10,417 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London transportation Estimate?

"just purchase a single ticket at the underground station £3 offpeak. (after 9:30) £5 before"

Those are the prices if you use an Oyster card. A cash ticket is (always) more.

5. Re: London transportation Estimate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:16