We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

San Diego...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

Hi All,

Going to have a business dinner and one of them is very strict. Ideally it would be Kosher...but I believe Halal is close as well.

We'll be staying right near the Westminster Bridge...so anywhere within the city would be great.

Since this is a business dinner, pricing isn't an issue.

Thank you for your help...!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,037 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

How many people will be at the dinner and when (date, please) will you be dining? Are you looking for a private room in a resto or for a (relatively) quiet table for four in the main room? Will eveyone be dining from the kosher menu or will that be an offering only for the very observant person?

Let us know more, please.

San Diego...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

Hi!

- It'll be ~5-6 people on a Thursday night (few weeks from now).

- Only one will be ordering from the Kosher/Halal menu.

- Restaurant...no need for private room. Semi quiet would be good but not a deal breaker.

Thank you

California
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

Here are a few resources that might help:

You can sort the restaurants by London neighborhood:

urbanspoon.com/f/…Kosher-Restaurants

http://londonist.com/2014/02/bestkosher.php

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

You say, "Ideally it would be Kosher...but I believe Halal is close as well." Based on this I am assuming that this person is Jewish rather than Muslim. If that is the case then although there are similarities between kosher and halal it is by no means guaranteed that a Jew will be able to eat food just because it is halal. For example, there are certain foods that Muslims are permitted to eat which Jews do not eat, such as shellfish, rabbit, and, camel (not that I have ever seen camel on a menu). Jews are also not permitted to eat certain parts of animals (certain fats and nerves) which would be considered halal by Muslims but not kosher by Jews. I also don't think that Muslims inspect the lungs of a slaughtered animal or salt and wash the blood in the same way. A really important problem is that Jewish law forbids the mixing of meat and dairy products. This does not just mean that a Jew cannot eat a cheeseburger or a chicken tikka masala; it means that a Jew cannot eat any food that has been prepared in a kitchen where the same vessels, utensils, or cooking appliances have come into contact with both meat and diary products, which will, of course, be the norm in a Muslim kitchen. You also have to be aware of special rules that apply this week on account of its being Passover, specifically the prohibition against the consumption of leavened foods. There is also a question as to whether Jews consider halal slaughter to be kosher. I'm not sure whether there is any authoritative consensus, but I know that some Jews will only eat meat that has been slaughtered by a Jew, whereas I think that some other Jews will eat meat slaughtered by a Muslim. I'm not claiming to be any sort of an expert on Jewish dietary law, as I am a Catholic, but I am pretty sure that if your guest is Jewish he or she will not be happy eating halal instead of kosher. Of course, there are also Jewish people who completely disregard the rules about kosher food (I have a Jewish friend who is fond of a full English breakfast and a BLT sandwich), but that doesn't sound like it is the case here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

If the OP's business contact is indeed "very strict" than Halal food will be of no use. Food that is Kosher is Halal but not the other way around. (Certain prayers have to be said for meat to be Kosher and there are the requirements for supervision mentioned by a poster above, which are not present in Halal food, as became unfortunately obvious during the horse meat scandal).

Additionally, strictly kosher food needs to be cooked in a kosher kitchen (i.e. one that has separate pots and pans for milk and dairy products). So it would not be possible for a restaurant to have a kosher menu and a non-kosher menu unless the kosher food was cooked off site and served on special plates.

Central London is not awash with kosher restaurants. Most of the centrally-located places in the Urban Spoon link are sandwich bars.

My recommendation for a business dinner in central London is Bevis Marks. It's quiet (especially in the evenings) and has good, kosher food.

The OP might also check if the business contact would be happy with a vegetarian restaurant. (Any food that is strictly vegetarian would also be kosher, but there are no supervision requirements, so there is a certain level of trust required). That would open up the options to places like Vanilla Black.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

Agree, Bevis Marks is the logical choice for a business dinner when a guest is strictly observant.

www.bevismarkstherestaurant.com

Edited: 15 April 2014, 07:12
7. Re: Kosher/Halal business dinner suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:15